ComputerForum.com ComputerForum.com  

Go Back   Computer Forum > Internet > Internet Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-15-2008, 04:46 PM   #1
Bit Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1
Default How to trick IP address

Hi, I live in Canada and I am subscribed to a web tv from overseas (few tv channels) and if I try to log in and watch those channels from work or friends house they are going to cancel my account even I paid for 6 months ahead. Is there any way when I am at work or at friends house to fake the system to look as I am connecting from my home's internet provider? Any help is appreciated and option of non-installing any application on another computer is preferred.

I was told there is an option by going to "Tools> Internet Option> Connection> LAN settings> Click: Proxy Server, then fill in the proxy"

But what to put in the proxy and port fields?

Just to remind, I am not trying to hide IP address, I want to have the same IP address as the one on my own PC so they can't see where I am connecting from.

Thanks,
djenka2
djenka2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2008, 04:51 PM   #2
VIP Member
 
massahwahl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ohio
Age: 27
Posts: 4,826
Default

a proxy server wouldnt help you because it would still be different than your home routers external IP address. Essentially no, i dont know of any way this is possible or legal.
__________________
formerly ukulele_ninja
massahwahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 12:15 AM   #3
VIP Member
 
AdmnPower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 1,467
Default

You could setup a VPN server at your house and connect to it from work or friends house. It will run a little slow but all of your internet traffic is automatically run through the remote location for security reasons when you connect to a VPN.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_private_network

That will explain what a VPN is.
AdmnPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 04:15 AM   #4
Gigabyte Member
 
teamhex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Houston
Age: 26
Posts: 1,962
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukulele_ninja View Post
a proxy server wouldnt help you because it would still be different than your home routers external IP address. Essentially no, i dont know of any way this is possible or legal.




People.....come on......Yes you can, set up a proxy server on the computer in that country if you can and use it.
http://www.linquist.net/geek/proxy
You'll use that IP as your proxy address . That or just find a proxy in that area of the world, you can check where IP's are hosted from on some sites, it may be a bit harder to find a proxy that will give you the bandwidth you need.
http://www.ip-adress.com/ipaddresstolocation/

Last edited by teamhex; 11-16-2008 at 05:16 AM.
teamhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 05:22 AM   #5
VIP Member
 
massahwahl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ohio
Age: 27
Posts: 4,826
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamhex View Post
People.....come on......Yes you can, set up a proxy server on the computer in that country if you can and use it.
http://www.linquist.net/geek/proxy
You'll use that IP as your proxy address . That or just find a proxy in that area of the world, you can check where IP's are hosted from on some sites, it may be a bit harder to find a proxy that will give you the bandwidth you need.
http://www.ip-adress.com/ipaddresstolocation/
yeah but he said the company is only allowing one computer to use the service so they obviously have already registered his home pc's IP. A proxy is not going to emulate his external IP address.
__________________
formerly ukulele_ninja
massahwahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 05:03 PM   #6
Gigabyte Member
 
teamhex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Houston
Age: 26
Posts: 1,962
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukulele_ninja View Post
yeah but he said the company is only allowing one computer to use the service so they obviously have already registered his home pc's IP. A proxy is not going to emulate his external IP address.
If he has access to that computer in the original country he could set up a proxy server on it.
teamhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:27 PM   #7
VIP Member
 
AdmnPower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 1,467
Default

Yeah, but i don't understand that. Most residential internet connections' IP's are dynamic meaning they change. Which means, if that's how it works, then as soon as the IP changes the service should no longer work. They have to be identifying it some other way.
AdmnPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:27 AM   #8
Terabyte Member
 
Rambo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 4,050
Default

You could set up a remote desktop connection.

Edit: Thinking about that, I don't think you'd get any audio with remote desktop, so scrap that idea.
__________________
www.timramage.com
Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:38 AM   #9
VIP Member
 
massahwahl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ohio
Age: 27
Posts: 4,826
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
You could set up a remote desktop connection.

Edit: Thinking about that, I don't think you'd get any audio with remote desktop, so scrap that idea.
You can with log me in pro which is relatively cheap. (Not that the OP is ever coming back)
__________________
formerly ukulele_ninja
massahwahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:55 AM   #10
Gigabyte Member
 
teamhex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Houston
Age: 26
Posts: 1,962
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmnPower View Post
Yeah, but i don't understand that. Most residential internet connections' IP's are dynamic meaning they change. Which means, if that's how it works, then as soon as the IP changes the service should no longer work. They have to be identifying it some other way.
Mac's most likely, that or that guy is paranoid and doesn't fully know whats going on.
teamhex is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
About virtual memory lubo4444 General Software 6 01-21-2008 05:25 AM
Cant get on internet.. :\ Joshua Petersen Internet Discussion 2 01-27-2007 11:38 PM
Help! I need help with getting on internet!! :( Joshua Petersen Desktop Computers 2 01-27-2007 11:36 PM
Help me get on internet!!!! :( Joshua Petersen Off Topic Chat 41 01-27-2007 04:09 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:00 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright © 2002-2014 Computer Forum