ComputerForum.com ComputerForum.com  

Go Back   Computer Forum > Computer Systems > Laptops, Tablets and Smartphones

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-20-2011, 10:05 PM   #1
Byte Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 153
Unhappy Can I rejuvenate my dead laptop battery?

Hey all,

I've got an HP Compaq 6830s laptop (17" screen) that will be two years old to me in about a month or so, and the battery's gotten so bad that I can't even get 10 minutes battery time. (It's a Lithium-Ion battery, if that make any difference). That just plain nullifies the whole purpose of having a laptop in the first place, and before I blow a bunch of cash on a new battery I'd like to know if I can "fix" this one. I've mainly had it on my desk, although I've taken it places of course. I have heard that heat is really bad for Li-Ion batteries, and my laptop fan runs pretty much steady, but I don't really know what I can do about that. Any ideas anyone? Thanks.

Davis
Davis Goertzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2011, 10:33 PM   #2
Megabyte Member
 
lion149's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 553
Default

If the laptop does not have any issue other major besides the battery...get a new one. At least that way it will have some value when if you decide to upgrade and sell that system.

If it is a laptop that you are bascially using at a desktop (bad idea) then get a laptop cooling fan base. This will help remedy the heat situation, also do not leave the system on 24/7 that was not its intended use in the first place.
__________________
Rig#1:
OS: Windows 8.1 64bit
CPU:Intel i7 4810MQ
MB MSI
HDD:512GB SSD and 128 GB mSSD
RAM:16GB DDR3
GPU:GTX 880M
lion149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:43 PM   #3
Petabyte Member
 
tremmor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mich
Age: 67
Posts: 6,010
Default

Ya have to pay attention how to take care of it.
You can boil the battery plugged in constant.
Highly suggestions you read the instructions for maintaining.
Unplug to long no good like not used for 6mo and run down not good.
Outside in extreme cold not good. Never let it deplete completely.

get another. take care of it.

Last edited by tremmor; 01-20-2011 at 10:47 PM.
tremmor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:26 PM   #4
Kilobyte Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 350
Thumbs down

Messing with a Li type battery may end up in a fire for your laptop and your home.
flanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:35 PM   #5
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Centrally located far from everywhere
Posts: 1,450
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flanker View Post
Messing with a Li type battery may end up in a fire for your laptop and your home.
IN other words, don't attempt any kind of repair-- get a replacement battery and learn how to maintain it correctly.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:49 AM   #6
Bit Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New Orleans, Louisiana
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
IN other words, don't attempt any kind of repair-- get a replacement battery and learn how to maintain it correctly.
What if he wants to learn the art of refurbishing batteries?
I didn't know this was a "is the computer plugged in?" forum, I thought we were supposed to be the tech savvy ones who break barriers... The ones who mod systems and overclock our CPUs... In my country, burning your hand on the soldering iron or blacking out a whole city block is a right of passage!


Now, who wants to go home...?



















































AND WHO WANTS TO GO WITH ME!

__________________
neworleanscomputerrepair.com
New Orleans PC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:50 AM   #7
Byte Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 153
Default

Okay, thanks the replies, guys.

The feedback I'm getting is that replacing a laptop battery is a better option than trying to take any sort of corrective action; is that correct? I'm not interested in getting into the battery refurbishing business, I just don't want to spend more cash than necessary.

If it's not good for the battery to have my laptop plugged in all the time, what is recommended? Run strictly on AC whenever I'm at the desk and only have the battery in for when I need it mobile and then afterward to charge up again, taking out the battery upon full capacity?

I don't leave the system on 24/7, it's just throughout the day, during the week. A laptop cooling base would probably still be good, though.

How do you recommend to take care of the new battery?

Thanks for the replies, fellows.
Davis Goertzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:21 AM   #8
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Centrally located far from everywhere
Posts: 1,450
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Orleans PC View Post
What if he wants to learn the art of refurbishing batteries?
I didn't know this was a "is the computer plugged in?" forum, I thought we were supposed to be the tech savvy ones who break barriers... The ones who mod systems and overclock our CPUs... In my country, burning your hand on the soldering iron or blacking out a whole city block is a right of passage!
Ah, good old redneck philosophy... thought I'd left that behind when I graduated high school.

Batteries are little more than cans full of chemicals, which means that unless one is a chemist with a nice little lab worthy of a B movie, opening one up will accomplish nothing useful.

Now, a battery pack for a laptop has a few things in addition to the good old chemical batteries, but again, little can be gained by opening one up unless you want to say, 'ooh, neato!' and throwing the lot away. And, as was mentioned previously, there is a potential for doing oneself great harm in messing with these things.

As a tech-savvy person myself (with, I might add, fresh soldering-iron burns on my hand), I can understand the desire to 'push the envelope' and all that, but I also know when I am out of my own depth.

Additionally, I am well-acquainted with computer help forums and can readily identify those who would be much safer not prying open things better left undisturbed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Goertzen View Post
Okay, thanks the replies, guys.

The feedback I'm getting is that replacing a laptop battery is a better option than trying to take any sort of corrective action; is that correct? I'm not interested in getting into the battery refurbishing business, I just don't want to spend more cash than necessary.

If it's not good for the battery to have my laptop plugged in all the time, what is recommended? Run strictly on AC whenever I'm at the desk and only have the battery in for when I need it mobile and then afterward to charge up again, taking out the battery upon full capacity?

I don't leave the system on 24/7, it's just throughout the day, during the week. A laptop cooling base would probably still be good, though.

How do you recommend to take care of the new battery?

Thanks for the replies, fellows.
Different battery technologies require different maintenance practices. My HP laptop recommends I drain the battery about every 30 days to keep it in good shape. If I need to store the battery, then I need to deplete it to about 30% before putting it in storage.

Last edited by Dngrsone; 01-21-2011 at 02:28 AM.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:14 AM   #9
Byte Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 153
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lion149 View Post
If the laptop does not have any issue other major besides the battery...get a new one. At least that way it will have some value when if you decide to upgrade and sell that system.

If it is a laptop that you are bascially using at a desktop (bad idea) then get a laptop cooling fan base. This will help remedy the heat situation, also do not leave the system on 24/7 that was not its intended use in the first place.
Can you elaborate on why it's a bad idea to use a laptop basically at a desktop? Cooling issues, what do you mean?

I've heard that it kills batteries to be plugged into the charger too much, can somebody comment on this?

One other thing I forgot to mention. Several months ago we were on a trip and throughout a bit of the trip I used my laptop plugged into a cigarette-lighter type power inverter, while in the vehicle. Is this bad for the battery?

Thanks for the input guys.

Davis
Davis Goertzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:08 PM   #10
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Centrally located far from everywhere
Posts: 1,450
Default

As I mentioned earlier, batteries are chemical devices. When you discharge a battery, what is happening is chemical reaction (actually a type of controlled corrosion) which causes current to flow out of the battery, through your computer and back into the battery.

Recharging the battery causes that chemical reaction to work in reverse. However, constant charging does several things-- if the battery is already charged to capacity, then there are no chemical reactions of the proper sort to feed and the excess electricity can cause unwanted reactions to take place which would degrade the battery's functioning. Excess heat (and sometimes cold) can also degrade the chemicals and make them less effective. So a battery naturally loses effectiveness over time, and abusing it by not discharging it in the proper manner, overcharging it, and overheating it will severely decrease its useful lifetime.

... and there are the extreme instances where high-current discharges or/and poor material choices have resulted in actual fires.


Oh, and a decent inverter should not have any more detrimental effect on your battery than regular charging.

Last edited by Dngrsone; 01-21-2011 at 01:11 PM.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Problem with laptop battery h3llfir3 Laptops, Tablets and Smartphones 4 06-10-2010 05:36 AM
Dead Battery has come back to life after 2 years in cupboard mingblus3 Laptops, Tablets and Smartphones 1 01-23-2009 07:23 PM
Will keeping laptop plugged in all the time damage battery? Smudge Laptops, Tablets and Smartphones 2 04-03-2007 05:43 PM
Care Laptop Battery Dual_Core Laptops, Tablets and Smartphones 3 11-12-2006 08:38 AM
Laptop Battery Help unejam Laptops, Tablets and Smartphones 8 08-26-2006 07:25 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:11 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright © 2002-2014 Computer Forum