ComputerForum.com ComputerForum.com  

Go Back   Computer Forum > Computer Software > Operating Systems

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 04:55 PM   #1
Bit Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 5
Default PC won't boot with external hard drive connected

Hello everyone,
i can't seem to boot up my computer with an external hard drive connected. You will probably say I should change the boot order in the BIOS menu, but thrust me, I have tried that. I am using a Dell Inspiron 530, and have updated my BIOS (a Phoenix BIOS) to 1.0.18. Can someone please help me, I have spend hours trying to fix this problem, and nothing seems to work...
Can someone please help me...
sirmarcou is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2012, 04:59 PM   #2
banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 986
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmarcou View Post
Hello everyone,
i can't seem to boot up my computer with an external hard drive connected. You will probably say I should change the boot order in the BIOS menu, but thrust me, I have tried that. I am using a Dell Inspiron 530, and have updated my BIOS (a Phoenix BIOS) to 1.0.18. Can someone please help me, I have spend hours trying to fix this problem, and nothing seems to work...
Can someone please help me...
Do you need the Harddrive to boot? Or is it just for storage.

Look for an option that says USB boot in the bios and turn it off...otherwise, go into bios and look at the boot order, see if it is on it at all. Otherwise, try unplugging it when you boot.
AntimatterAsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:03 PM   #3
Bit Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 5
Default

It is just for storage, but it is so annoying that I have to unplug it every time I boot, and when I forget, I have to reboot all over again, disconnecting the power and all... The only thing I can find in the boot order is this:
1st Boot Device: Hard Disk
2th Boot Device: CDROM
3th Boot Device: Disabled
Other Boot Device: Disabled
The options are hard disk, removable, CDROM or disabled.
The only option with USB is the USB host controller interface, which I can disable, but I don't know what that does...
sirmarcou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:17 PM   #4
banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 986
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmarcou View Post
It is just for storage, but it is so annoying that I have to unplug it every time I boot, and when I forget, I have to reboot all over again, disconnecting the power and all... The only thing I can find in the boot order is this:
1st Boot Device: Hard Disk
2th Boot Device: CDROM
3th Boot Device: Disabled
Other Boot Device: Disabled
The options are hard disk, removable, CDROM or disabled.
The only option with USB is the USB host controller interface, which I can disable, but I don't know what that does...
I think that is your USB all together, so dont touch that... apart from that, if they are the only options, then it may mean you will have to unplug it, it looks like the bios is searching for HDDs first, but searching external devices, is there an option for ZIP drive or something?
AntimatterAsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:22 PM   #5
Zettabyte Member

 
voyagerfan99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Connecticut
Age: 23
Posts: 16,539
Default

Just check your boot device priority and be sure Internal HDD is first. Also check HDD Boot Priority and be sure the internal drive is the primary.
__________________
Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5 Socket AM3
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T
Lian-Li LanCool PC-K62 Case w/600W CoolerMaster SilentPro
8GB G-Skill RipJaw DDR3 RAM
Intel 520 120GB SSD/Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit
ASUS GTX 670 2GB

Photography Portfolio
Camera Forum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromewell
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in command here.
voyagerfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:08 PM   #6
Bit Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 5
Default

The only options I have is hard disk, removable, CDROM and disable. And I already put hard disk first, CDROM second and the other two disabled, so no removable selected... I can't change any other priorities or positions...
sirmarcou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:09 PM   #7
banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 986
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmarcou View Post
The only options I have is hard disk, removable, CDROM and disable. And I already put hard disk first, CDROM second and the other two disabled, so no removable selected... I can't change any other priorities or positions...
Try putting CD first.
AntimatterAsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:10 PM   #8
Malware and Spam Assassin

 
johnb35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Where ever Fluffy is
Age: 43
Posts: 28,523
Default

So the computer acts okay after bootup and you connect the external? On some models usb boot doesn't appear until a usb device has been attached to the system. So connect the drive and then boot to the bios and see what is listed for boot order.
__________________
MB - Gigabyte 970A-UD3 || CPU - FX8350|| PSU - Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650W || Memory - Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 || GPU - Sapphire HD6870 1GB || HDD's - 500GB SATA III WD Caviar Black, 120GB Corsair Force 3 SSD|| Monitor - ASUS VE278Q Black 27" || OS - Windows 7 || Case - Cooler Master HAF 912 || Cpu cooler - CM Hyper 212 Plus
johnb35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:22 PM   #9
Bit Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 5
Default

If the external is connected, it stalls at the Dell start screen and I can't even hit the F2 key, cause everything is stuck... so I can't get in the BIOS while it is connected...
sirmarcou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:33 PM   #10
Malware and Spam Assassin

 
johnb35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Where ever Fluffy is
Age: 43
Posts: 28,523
Default

Have you tried this drive in another system? Could either be an issue with the drive or usb cable.
__________________
MB - Gigabyte 970A-UD3 || CPU - FX8350|| PSU - Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650W || Memory - Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 || GPU - Sapphire HD6870 1GB || HDD's - 500GB SATA III WD Caviar Black, 120GB Corsair Force 3 SSD|| Monitor - ASUS VE278Q Black 27" || OS - Windows 7 || Case - Cooler Master HAF 912 || Cpu cooler - CM Hyper 212 Plus
johnb35 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
bios, external hard drive, won't boot

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone have anything good to say about Cyberpower? deckofficer Desktop Computers 21 06-22-2011 05:29 PM
Computer won't start with external hard drive connected? themighty Computer Memory and Hard Drives 20 02-24-2011 02:43 PM
Two hard drives, one OS problem Lomandriel Operating Systems 14 08-06-2007 10:53 PM
Changing the name of the drive... aramp1 General Software 4 02-02-2007 05:06 PM
external usb hard drive - im lost AdamTheGreat Computer Memory and Hard Drives 0 12-19-2005 02:18 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:02 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright © 2002-2014 Computer Forum