AD-AWARE caused an exception....

David_UK

Win98se, AVG7free, SpyBot, Adaware, Zonealarm free.
Adaware previously fine. Used 'kakcleaner.exe' from 'http://www.pchell.com/downloads/kakcleaner.exe' to remove the opening window caused by this (now removed) virus.
Subsequently, Ad-aware will not run, returning error:
Ad-aware: This program has perfomed an illegal operation and will be shut down....
Details: AD-AWARE caused an exception eedfadeH in module <unknown> at 0000:00000000.
Registers:
EAX=00000000 CS=0000 EIP=00000000 EFLGS=00000000
EBX=00000000 SS=0000 ESP=00000000 EBP=00000000
ECX=00000000 DS=0000 ESI=00000000 FS=0000
EDX=00000000 ES=0000 EDI=00000000 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:

Stack dump:

Then when the error is ok'd:
Anwendungsfehler: Exception EReadError in Modul AS-AWARE.EXE bei 00021F0B.
Fehler beim Lesen von memof.Lines.Strings: Fehler bei Einfugen von RichEdit-Zeile.

Have tried unistall/reinstall, including safe mode but will not run.
Other pc apps are fine, pc boots normally.

Any ideas?

Byteman

Malware Destroyer
can't recommend a reg cleaner for win98. you might want to remove adaware, reboot, search the registry for Adaware and lavasoft (export a backup of you registry first), and delete any found (be carefull). Reboot and reinstall Adaware. :)

If your not comfortable with registry editing perhaps someone can recommend a good one for Window98SE...

David_UK

Thanks for the advice. As this is a 'spare' old machine I might have a go at editing the registry myself. Won't be a disaster if I get it wrong!

David_UK

Byteman

Uninstalled as suggested and searched registry. Only one entry which I deleted, restarted and installed. No change. Still throws up error when I try to run ad-aware.
Incidentally, i have just installed Spywareblaster which does not recognise firefox as being installed (which it is).
Any further thoughts?
With many thanks.

Byteman

Malware Destroyer
Well, if i had to guess, being as how your on Win98, and assuming your install of 98 is more than 2 or 3 years old... it may be time to reformat and reinstall the OS. In the company I work for, any Win9x machine we've ever worked with on a daily basis with, has had to be reformatted about every 2-3 years. They just get punched full of holes too easily because of how they're built. 2000 and XP can last much longer because their built differently. So, it sounds more like OS corruption is more your problem... :(