Avast, the system cannot find the file specified

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Twinbird24, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Twinbird24

Twinbird24 New Member

I ran a virus scan with avast on a HDD from another computer, it found 19 threats but I can't remove a single one. Here is a screen-shot of what happened.

Any ideas of how I can remove these threats? Thanks.

2. FunnelWeb

FunnelWeb New Member

you could ask your question on this at http://support.avast.com/ and see if they can answer you, its free to register!!!!

or you can wait for johnb35 to guide you on the removal ;)

3. Twinbird24

Twinbird24 New Member

Thanks for the reply. I was already posting a new thread in the avast forums, but I thought I would post one here too.

4. johnb35

johnb35 Administrator Staff Member

Please follow this procedure so we can see whats actually on your system.

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here or here and save it to your desktop.
    • Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
    • At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to
      • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
      • and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • then click Finish.
    • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version. Please keep updating until it says you have the latest version.
    • Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.
    • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
    • Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
    • A log will be saved automatically which you can access by clicking on the Logs tab within Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

If you continue to experience problems after doing this, please post a HijackThis log by doing the following:

Download the HijackThis installer from here.
    Run the installer and choose Install, indicating that you accept the licence agreement. The installer will place a shortcut on your desktop and launch HijackThis.

Click Do a system scan and save a logfile

Most of what HijackThis lists will be harmless or even essential, don't fix anything yet.

Post the logfile that HijackThis produces along with the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware log

5. Twinbird24

Twinbird24 New Member

Thanks for the reply. Is malwarebytes going to detect all the malware that avast did? And will the program interfere with avast?

6. FunnelWeb

FunnelWeb New Member

malwarebytes antimalware will find any malware related threats on your system and avast works hand in hand with malwarebytes, so no there won't be any intereference between the two ;)

7. Twinbird24

Twinbird24 New Member

Thanks. The advise from the avast forums solved my problem, I ran the avast virus scan on the infected computer rather than running the scan on the HDD only from my computer.