Best Video Card For Graphic Design

Discussion in 'Video Cards and Monitors' started by swizz182g, Feb 5, 2007.

1. swizz182g

swizz182g New Member

I have the Samsung 22 Inch Widescreen Moniter and i need to know what is the best video card i should get for graphic design, some 3d design in poser, and flash

2. Impr3ssiv3

Impr3ssiv3 New Member

well most graphics design programs like Photoshop and Illustrator don't really use the GPU that much but when you do 3D work it will benefit more from having a workstation GPU.

The workstation GPU's are

nVIDIA~Quadro

ATI~FireGL

these aren't cheap cards, even at the low end, but they are design for 3D animation and designing

3. swizz182g

swizz182g New Member

I was actually thinking about getting ATI X1650 Pro 256Mb

4. lovely?

lovely? New Member

uh no, i dont know why but those lagg terribly when made to render 3D in programs other than games

5. tlarkin

tlarkin VIP Member

go with a quadro, you can get a decent work station card perfect for rendering, and yes design applications take advantage of the GPUs for not that expensive.

We run Quadro cards in our CAD/Animation labs, except for the mac labs they run DDL Nvidia 6800s.

6. The_Other_One

The_Other_One VIP Member

If you don't get a quadro, get something like a 6200 or 7300. I used a 6200 for Poser and it worked much better than my current 7600GT. I think it's some compatibility issue with OpenGL... But either way, a card like an x1600 is more for gaming.

7. tlarkin

tlarkin VIP Member

source: http://barefeats.com/quad04.html

interesting read and it shows why workstation cards are better over gaming cards for specific tasks.

8. SubDude199

SubDude199 New Member

NOOOOO I just sold mine.. I bough it a month ago and I got out good with only a $60 loss.. it gets TERRIBLE scores in 3dmark06. 1,900 to be exact.. compared to the 7900GTO scoring 6000 stock for only $50 more!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  9. heyman421

heyman421 banned

quaddro is the way to go

you can get them with up to 1 gig of video memory, to make up for low system memory speeds in apps like photoshop that are HIGHLY ram speed dependant