BSOD at startup

shravan98

I have an Acer Travelmate C210 tablet and a few days ago Avira AntiVir popped up saying it found a TR/Dropper.Gen i tried removing it and i restarted and tried to open malwarebytes forgetting to go into safe mode but it didnt open. I restarted and booted into Safe mode with networking.
it displayed tons of text as usual and after about 30 seconds - 1 minute it gave a BSOD with a BAD_POOL_HEADER message. i then tried safe mode and it gave the STOP 0x<UNKNOWN NUMBER OF ZEROS>8E. i also tried safe mode with command prompt, same stop error. its doing the same thing ever since even on start windows normally. I have been using a linux live cd to back up my files and to scan again and it gives a positive for C:\autorun.inf (/media/ACER/autorun.inf) in clam av.:confused:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Your best bet now would be to offload any data and do a fresh install since you can't even boot into windows. Have you tried doing a repair install? If you can get it to boot back into windows then run combofix. See if you can delete that c:\autorun.inf file as thats a bad file and then try booting into windows.

Download and Run ComboFix
If you already have Combofix, please delete this copy and download it again as it's being updated regularly.
Note: Do not mouseclick combofix's window whilst it's running. That may cause it to stall

Combofix should never take more that 20 minutes including the reboot if malware is detected.
If it does, open Task Manager then Processes tab (press ctrl, alt and del at the same time) and end any processes of findstr, find, sed or swreg, then combofix should continue.
If that happened we want to know, and also what process you had to end.

In your next reply please post:
  • The ComboFix log
  • A fresh HiJackThis log
  • An update on how your computer is running

shravan98

I have managed to delete the autorun.inf with a linux live cd using these commands
Code:
# cd /media/ACER
# chmod 777 autorun.inf
# rm autorun.inf
but i used an Avira rescue CD and there were more viruses (that were undeletable) and i still get the blue screen at boot so i cant use combofix. i might be able to use UBCD4WIN to do something. i also cant reinstall windows because i dont have an XP pro cd (the current os) only an old XP home cd which just gives me the option to install. and thanks for your help :)

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Can you put the drive into a different computer and scan it using a fully updated virus program?

shravan98

Can you put the drive into a different computer and scan it using a fully updated virus program?
dont have cables and other things. what should i get? And my desktop has a SATA interface and my notebook has a weird 2 row type connector

Last edited:

shravan98

I just noticed with UBCD4WIN in my main OS drive (C:) the contents of the i386 drive is almost nearly missing (as you can see in the picture). But i luckily have a backup of the i386 folder I performed earlier when I was using the UxTheme patcher. should i restore the contents?

2czx4si.jpg