Can a moving radar gun clock your speed?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by luckyedboy66, Jan 31, 2009.

1. luckyedboy66

luckyedboy66 New Member

Does any one know if a cop can lock your speed while coming towards you in the opposite lane? The reason I ask is because I was doing about 85 in a 65mph zone and an "undercover" SUV in the oncoming lane (across a 30ft median) flashed his lights at me, but kept going. I dont think he could have gauged my speed by eye, so I think it may have been a moving radar. It seems impossible to get an accurate speed unless it takes the cop car's speed into account. does anyone know if or how this might work?

i hope this doesnt turn into an orlando-forum-pwned thread...

2. johnb35

johnb35 Administrator Staff Member

Yes they can. It's not that hard.

3. luckyedboy66

luckyedboy66 New Member

well thats a pooper

4. El DJ

El DJ New Member

They legally can't pull you over if they're moving in the other direction (I think).
    But 85 MPH is easy to judge by eye against 65.

5. 4W4K3

4W4K3 VIP Member

Yes they can accurately tell your speed while moving in any direction. Newer devices can do quite a lot actually.

6. Washrag

Washrag New Member

I got pulled over by an oncoming cop. I tell ya, just about pissed my pants when he lit up and did a u turn.

7. EGS

EGS banned

Same..

So long as they're doing a steady speed, they can clock you.
    When you're at court, as for discovery. It's free and it'll really see if they got you or not.

If they didn't get you, you're off the hook. If they did, you'll have trial; just claim Unsafe Vehicle Operation. It's $250 and no points. :)

8. El DJ

El DJ New Member

I should start slowing down when I see them coming.

9. luckyedboy66

luckyedboy66 New Member

ya, i always do, because i suspected they could clock you oncoming, but now i know. the only reason i didnt slow down for this one is because it was pitch black and the "undercover" SUV was painted black and has no visible light bar.

10. Gooberman

Gooberman Active Member

Lol, That orlando forum was so funny :rolleyes:

Better hope the cop doesn't see this :eek:

11. luckyedboy66

luckyedboy66 New Member

ya, thats why I chose my words carefully so as to not be incriminating. it would be pretty ironic though. i have a feeling i know who the cop was, and im pretty sure they dont frequent compforum.

12. johnb35

johnb35 Administrator Staff Member

There is a black SUV running on the interstate where I live and I can't believe the amount of people he's pulling over.