Computer Forum Lucky Prize Draw

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by ian, Jan 5, 2011.

1. ian

ian Administrator Staff Member

NOTE: THIS LUCKY PRIZE DRAW IS NOW CLOSED.
    For all of 2011, and hopefully beyond, we will be running a monthly prize draw for fun.
    Each month, the programmed software will generate a completely random number, which I will post via twitter.com
    In future months, as in April onwards, you will need to register at twitter.com and follow @computerforum to enter.
    You will also need to send a tweet, to @computerforum and mention your userid.
    So for example
    @computerforum.com http://www.computerforum.com/members/1-ian.html
    For futher information on signing up on Twitter, you can check Aastii's post here.
    But that rule will be in place from April onwards, it wouldnt hurt to signup now and make the tweet with your userid, you only have to do it once to qualify from April onwards.
    To redeem your prize, you will need to send me a private message before the 25th day of that month here at computerforum.com
    The winner for each month will receive US$50 via paypal, so you will need a paypal account, or a family member with one, who will give you the money.
    If you are a VIP member, you receive a 50% bonus, so instead of $50, you will receive $75
    If you are a moderator/super moderator/administrator, you will receive a 100% bonus, so instead of $50, you will get $100
    Also, if nobody claims the prize by the 25th of the month, the prize will jackpot until the next month, until somebody claims it.

The first lucky number for January 2011 can be found here
    http://twitter.com/#!/computerforum/status/22601734228545536
    The site twitter account is http://twitter.com/computerforum

You can find out what your lucky number is by checking this page
    http://www.computerforum.com/prizes/
    Basically the competition is here to reward the loyal members, so for the moment, it is restricted to the top 1,000 users. It will eventually be extended to the top 2,000 members when there are 2,000 members with over 100 posts.
    And also, the higher up on the leaderboard, the more lucky numbers you get allocated to you. So [-0mega-] would get 1,000 numbers allocated to him, where as the member Ace1627 who is at the bottom of the leaderboard will only get one number in the draw. So the higher your post count, you will have a greater chance of winning, but sometimes members with lower post counts will have the winning number, it is a random draw.
    Anybody posting nonsense just to boost their post count will receive warnings, and if repeatedly offending may be banned from the competition. At the moment, I am the only member excluded from being in the competition, if one of my numbers gets drawn, it automatically redraws.
    If you check and see who the winner is, I also ask that you keep that to yourself and do not alert the winning member or post who the winner is. Posting who the winner is, could get you banned from the competition. Basically people need to check, and if they do not, the prize jackpots.
    NOTE: You only have to follow @computerforum and tweet your user profile once, to qualify for all future draws. Once you tweet your profile, you will not be eligible for the draw that month, but you will be eligible to win the next month and all months after that. If you win, the responsibility will be on you to provide me with proof that you have tweeted your user profile prior to the draw date.
    Any questions, please feel free to ask.

PRIZE VALUE TOTAL GIVEN AWAY SO FAR US$1,900
    Hyper Kagome US$900 cash paid via Paypal on 5th September 2012
    Denther US$600 cash paid via Paypal on 2nd September 2013
    spynoodle US$250 cash paid via Paypal on 26th February 2014
    Lacquer Head US$150 cash paid via Paypal on 2nd April 2011

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  2. linkin

linkin VIP Member

Cool! So what exactly do we have to do? I'm :confused:

3. TFT

TFT VIP Member

4. dave1701

dave1701 New Member

I cant find my name...... I'm not good enough.

5. TFT

TFT VIP Member

At the moment you are in 604th place on the leaderboard, you are indeed lost, in fact you don't exist :p

[strike]PM Ian and tell him you are not entered.[/strike]

EDIT: No, don't PM him, bad advice he could end up inundated :D He will read this thread and put you right.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  6. fastdude

fastdude New Member

It sounds like a great idea, an incentive for people not just to post crap.
    Now I'm just going to sit down with a calculator and calculate my chances of winning :p

7. dave1701

dave1701 New Member

What determines your place on the leaderboard?

8. fastdude

fastdude New Member

It's a simple post-count.

9. linkin

linkin VIP Member

Thanks for that, I was confused.

I have a lot of numbers on my page :p

10. TFT

TFT VIP Member

Me too but at least they are in numerical order which told me quite quickly that I didn't win :(

11. dave1701

dave1701 New Member

Oops, I already PM'ed him. Oh well.

12. fastdude

fastdude New Member

Hmm same here. Came extremely close though (1 digit off)
    But still no banana.

EDIT: Well I guess that's no closer than any other number that isn't the prize winning one, the program doesn't driscriminate

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  13. ian

The leaderboard shows your ranking as of today. As of today you are ranked 595.
    The prize draw board is a static snapshot from the 1st day of the month, when the winning prize number is randomly selected. So on the 1st of January, you were ranked 643, and your numbers are listed here
    http://www.computerforum.com/prizes/dave1701.html
    The person with the winning number has until the 25th of January to send me a message via this forum to claim their prize.

14. linkin

linkin VIP Member

Right, and if they don't, their prize gets pooled as per the OP? :eek::D

15. ian

Those are good simplified instructions, I will try and post up a simplified details of the prize rules, with more complex notes below. I will add a link to the main header of the page. Also, part of entering from April onwards is that you have a twitter account, and follow @computerforum.com and tweet your username. You dont have to actually use twitter at all, it can be a once only setup to enter the contest.
    Yes, that was a nice little touch, it only takes a few seconds to find out if you have won. Credit goes to the other administrator [tab] for writing the script for me. You dont often hear from him, but he does help with behind the scenes stuff.
    One of the concerns was that some people might post crap, but if that does happen, you would probably receive a warning, and subsequent warnings. You would have to post complete nonsense to be excluded from the competition, and it would need to be a decision by the whole moderator team, two third majority, so nobody needs to worry about being unfairly excluded by one person.
    Also we now have an added benefit for VIP members, as they receive a 50% bonus, and moderators receive a 100% bonus.
    Yes, that is correct, the position on the prize board is based simply on post count. Banned members are excluded from the draw.

16. ian

Yes that is correct, if the person who has the winning number does not contact me by the 25th day of the month, the prize will jackpot.
    So for february, the prize will be $100
    and if a VIP member wins, they would get US$150 instead.
    But if it is claimed in January, then the prize would only be $50 for february.
    There is no limit on how many times the prize can jackpot if it is not claimed.

17. Shane

Shane ComputerForum Fanatic Staff Member

If we can see the lucky number from that link,why do we have to register on twitter for?...Ian is it really necessary to be Twitter registred?

Awesome & Generous idea though,Computerforum Lotto :)

Checked my numbers,Nothing :D

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  18. Fatback

Fatback VIP Member

This is a pretty cool idea. I believe I'm already following you on twitter, but I'll double check. As for this month it wasn't me that won, maybe next month.

19. ian

Yes, from April onwards, it will be necessary to have registered with Twitter and tweeted your username. And that has to be done before the draw, lets say only 100 out of the top 1,000 members actually do that, that just increases your chances of winning even more.

20. Shane

Shane ComputerForum Fanatic Staff Member

Looks like il get that done then ;)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011