Computer Forum Tech Guides

lucasbytegenius

Ok, we got the guide done, and fastdude is wanting me to submit it for him (well actually I asked:D). Sent it to MEP[I forget the numbers]

fastdude

Ok, we got the guide done, and fastdude is wanting me to submit it for him (well actually I asked:D). Sent it to MEP[I forget the numbers]

Technically I Wanted to submit it, but filthy decadence stopped me,
i.e. - at a mates disco, so asked lucasb to do it ;)
Hope mep replies soon :)

mep916

Administrator
Staff member

Technically I Wanted to submit it, but filthy decadence stopped me,
i.e. - at a mates disco, so asked lucasb to do it ;)
Hope mep replies soon :)

It needs some work. I'll reply to your email with my thoughts.

BTW MEP, how's the review of my guide to speeding up OS install times coming along?
It's been a few weeks now :D

Well I think we discussed that already, but I'll reply to your email with some additional thoughts. Probably some time this evening. Thanks guys.

lucasbytegenius

I have some more ideas for tech guides:
-How to clean your monitor.
-Computer Connector Guide (fastdude could help)
-Computer OS Maintenance Guide.
-Computer Guide To Faster Startup Times.
-Computer Maintenance Guide (how to clean mouse, keyboard, etc.).

linkin

VIP Member
I WAS going to do a guide on installing Ati graphics card drivers, but it seems i've deleted my copy of 10.8 install, getting an nvidia card and all.

Perhaps in the future when my internet isn't capped to 128k /wrists

Aastii

VIP Member
I WAS going to do a guide on installing Ati graphics card drivers, but it seems i've deleted my copy of 10.8 install, getting an nvidia card and all.

Perhaps in the future when my internet isn't capped to 128k /wrists

When my card gets here I would happily do the ATi side if you want to do the nVidia side and create a combined thread of video card drivers.

Also, to any admin, I just posted a rather long explaination of motherboard layouts, as well as other things, but that was the main thing, here:

http://www.computerforum.com/1523399-post12.html

I was wondering if I were to add to it, so add things like fan headers, nb, sb etc, and refine the deffinitions and explainations, could a guide be taken from that for motherboard layouts/requirements?

linkin

VIP Member
When my card gets here I would happily do the ATi side if you want to do the nVidia side and create a combined thread of video card drivers.

Also, to any admin, I just posted a rather long explaination of motherboard layouts, as well as other things, but that was the main thing, here:

http://www.computerforum.com/1523399-post12.html

I was wondering if I were to add to it, so add things like fan headers, nb, sb etc, and refine the deffinitions and explainations, could a guide be taken from that for motherboard layouts/requirements?

That could work.

To everyone: I've had mep unlock the BIOS flashing thead, I'll be editing it this weekend, so feel free to make comments and suggestions while you can :)

Aastii

VIP Member
That could work.

To everyone: I've had mep unlock the BIOS flashing thead, I'll be editing it this weekend, so feel free to make comments and suggestions while you can :)

k will get started on it when I have a free couple hours :)

fastdude

Could I do a PC building budget recommendation guide? I may have a go at that, it's one of the few things I know a fair bit about :p

tlarkin

VIP Member
Could I do a PC building budget recommendation guide? I may have a go at that, it's one of the few things I know a fair bit about :p

The guide would have to be updated monthly to coincide with price changes, or have a broad view of best bang for your buck.

I think a better idea would be how to optimize your mid to low budget PC to make it run smoother. Like cheap after market upgrades, and tweaks to save money.

So like after market fans to keep it cooler, which isn't always expensive, and software configurations to help it run smoother.

linkin

VIP Member
Updated the BIOS guide with new pictures and revised some other stuff, have a look and tell me what you think.

Aastii, are we still on for the Nvidia + ATI driver guide? I've been having driver problems lately, causing my card to crash :eek:

Aastii

VIP Member
Updated the BIOS guide with new pictures and revised some other stuff, have a look and tell me what you think.

Aastii, are we still on for the Nvidia + ATI driver guide? I've been having driver problems lately, causing my card to crash :eek:

Yea I too have been having driver issues lol. Perfect opportunity to get it sorted.

Only possible problem with that is how much spare time I will have over the next couple of weeks. Got a term of college work to catch up, away for a week in a week and a bit, so might be a couple weeks til I can do it. That is if I don't find a spare hour or two somewhere, but just don't get your hopes up because things are pretty hectic here at the moment

linkin

VIP Member
I've got pretty much nothing to do, my card was acting up, moved it down into the second pci-e slot and my problems are gone. odd.

fastdude

The guide would have to be updated monthly to coincide with price changes, or have a broad view of best bang for your buck.

I think a better idea would be how to optimize your mid to low budget PC to make it run smoother. Like cheap after market upgrades, and tweaks to save money.

So like after market fans to keep it cooler, which isn't always expensive, and software configurations to help it run smoother.

So, like a sort of "How to Get the Best Bang for your Buck With PCs " guide? I'd have a go at that if someone would be willing to look at it. (Obviously I'd make a better title.)

fastdude

A better title would be "How to upgrade your PC". I think the "How to speed up your PC" has been used by apj101.

Ah, quite tricky. That title would be OK, I guess. I may write the guide first (assuming someone will look at it), then think about a title :p I guess I could include, say "If you don't mind invalidating your warranty, then Overclocking is a great way to improve PC performance for free; see _____ [OC 101]" Though I'm not going to try and write the whole guide within this thread

tlarkin

VIP Member
So, like a sort of "How to Get the Best Bang for your Buck With PCs " guide? I'd have a go at that if someone would be willing to look at it. (Obviously I'd make a better title.)

Well, with technology the way it is, the best bang for your buck probably changes almost on a weekly basis.

So, you would have to maintain a list of hardware that would change weekly, plus what about specials and things on sale?

I think maybe a framework of how to qualify the best bang for your buck would be better, and it would apply to any future hardware releases. Things like qualifying the user. Like what they need, what they expect performance wise. Then budget, and look at overall cost of ownership.

Take into account warranties, support, customer service, etc. Then paint a picture of overall cost of ownership.

That would apply to any new hardware releases and sales. Otherwise, if you feel like maintaining and updating a bi-weekly article on the current best deal, go for it.