Computer shuts down due to lack of memory

theblackwhisper

Hi
Can anyone help?
Bare in mind I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to computers.

Recently my firewall vanished when I was on the net and due to lazyness I kept on putting off reinstalling it.
Today I paid for that mistake when my computer shut itself off after being on for about two minutes.
Now when ever it turns on it gives me two minutes and then restarts itself.
I'd do a system restore but all my itunes are on there.

I think it has something to do with not having enough memory to be able to operate but how do I do something about this in the space of two mins? Please help.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
That sounds more like a hardware problems, such as a failing power supply, or possibly software depending on what's running in the background. However, I kind of doubt it's related to the lack of a firewall or memory(unless your memory's failing...)

After POST, press F5 and get the boot menu. Boot your computer to Safe Mode. Assuming you have another computer to transfer files, get Adaware, Spybot S&D, and Hijackthis. If you need a virus scan too, get AVG Free Edition. Run all the scans then run hijackthis and post the log here.

If you can't transfer the files and you're internet's provided by a network(not USB to a modem or dialup) booting to Safe Mode with Networking should allow you internet access.

If you're computer still reboots during this, try running the Windows Repair option from the XP disk. However, it's more likely that the problem is hardware related if it still occurs in Safe Mode...

subtle

If it does, check that everything is sitting properly in the sockets (memory etc.), that the fans are spinning and aren't clogged with dust.

If you think its a memory thing, try going to run and type in MSCONFIG and go to the last tab. Shut off anything you wont use or anything that you dont need and see if that solves it. What the heck, why not shut it all off and see if your computer restarts. If it doesnt you know your overloading your memory and you have to pick and choose what runs in the background.