Data transfer errors reported by HDSentinel on laptop HDD.

i_hate_toms

Code:
There are 3 bad sectors on the disk surface. 
The contents of these sectors were moved to the spare area.
1214 errors occured during data transfer. 
This may indicate problem of the device or with data/power cables. 
It is recommended to examine and replace the cables if possible.
It is recommended to continuously monitor the hard disk status.
The three bad sectors have been there for almost a year and i guess it's not a precursor of a catastrophic failure - probably have always been there since the drive was manufactured - as by logic, if this was the mechanics going bad, one year is a long time enough to trigger - at least - one more reallocation event.

The other message, is interesting. Of course there's no cable to replace- it's a laptop drive - so what do you think? Is this the HDD electronics dying? The RAM failing? The motherboard dying? That data error number stays at 1214, unless i restart in a command prompt (from the windows DVD) and run a CHKDSK. The checkdisk completes successfully, but if i check SMART again, I see an extra one hundred or so data errors added to the total. The reallocation even count/ pending sector count does not increase. I'm confused.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
Is this PATA or SATA HDD?

Have you tryed a different HDD?

The message you are getting is usually caused by big number of bad sectors on the disk surface and Windows usually puts data on the sectors which are not bad in order to keep your data safe.

Of course there are 2 types of bad sectors.Those which can be repaired and those which can't.

Those which can be repaired are usually caused by data transfer which was terminated on improper way such as...HDD was unplugged from the power during let's say...DATA COPY PROCESS.
Of course there are many other things which can cause the same thing.Data copy process was just an example.

Those which can't be repaired are those which are physically on the HDD plates such as the HDD head has stratched the plate surface.This is usually caused when HDD was being roughly moved while it was turned on and while it was writing some data.

So what you can do is to FIRST move ALL your important data on some place SAFE and then erase entire HDD with KILL DISK.
After that check SMART to see if it will say the same thing.If it does then you have physical bad sectors which cannot be repaired and in that case I strongly recommend you to replace the HDD.Otherwise you can experience a big data loss.

Cheers!
(I am so bored right now lol.(Just like every day xD))...