Do you have fun at work?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by wonderboy1953, Nov 1, 2011.

?

I regard a fun, relaxed atmosphere as...

1. productive

17 vote(s)
    65.4%
  2. unproductive

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
  3. no comment

6 vote(s)
    23.1%
  1. wonderboy1953

wonderboy1953 banned

Is your day relaxing or stressed? Is having fun against decorum or encouraged?

The deeper, underlying issue is whether having fun at work is productive which is why I'm doing a survey as I regard a fun, relaxed atmosphere (within reasonable limits) as helpful to the economy in the long run (I know that studies have been done on this but I want to hear YOUR opinion - please note that this thread stems from a discussion I had with my dentist yesterday).

2. Dystopia

Dystopia New Member

Do I have fun at work?

LOL.

Nuff said -.-

3. Gareth

Gareth Active Member

I think its fantastic and productive to have fun at work providing everything gets done orderly and in a timely professional manner! :)

4. Hsv_Man

Hsv_Man New Member

To answer the question sometimes fun is had at work. Regardless of whether fun is had the hours go by very quickly and before i know it it's time to close up for the night.

5. mobgrazer

mobgrazer New Member

I have tons of fun at work.

My afternoon job working with cattle on my farm is great. Next year it will be my only job.

Warning rant.
    My current day job sucks. I think this is day 18 with out a day off and dose not look like I will be getting one till late next week. Some how the machine I run is on the other side of the plant from the rest of my department. About half the time I decide to make the hike to the “lead person” I over hear my coworkers in my business. The part that I like the best is part of this stuff is said around our “lead” and sometimes it gets said around our boss but nothing gets said.

How much time I took off for some outpatient surgery.
    How I was playing the “Dr. note game” when I came back from surgery with a restriction of 48 hours a week.
    A miss-installed bolt from a different shift fell out and snapped a die-plate when I was running and how they would of caught it.
    One of the best comments I heard was, “Why dose he think he needs so much time off; a women can give birth and come back to work the next week and not have any restrictions.” I responded with “I still have over 48 hours vacation I can use this year.”
    The comment today that almost sent me off the deep end toady was “Why did he go to get stitches. He only got a couple it could not of been that bad. I would have just kept working.” This was based on an issue of my hand ~vs~ hand tool that happened last week.

I'm currently waiting on HR to follow up with my complaint.
    I did have fun today when I typed and printed out a draft of my resignation letter. I printed it to the other side of the plant and did not put a name on it or pick it up.

In 64 more days I get 160 hours of vacation. Sometimes I think it's worth staying there for 64 more days for that going away present and some days I think it would be better to just let the door hit me where the good lord split me as I walk out the door.

Thanks for the rant time...
    Yes I did change a few tinny details around in case someone reads this I work with.

6. tremmor

tremmor Active Member

I liked my job but retired. I new my job and comfortable with it.
    thats the only way you will like it. Stay out of trouble, no one hurt and always parts available. I was a elect planner. job scope, buying parts, procedures and coordinating with management. great job.
    I was a electrician
    planning was great job.
    Yes, i was a hourly.

something else. Yes, i tried the foreman job.
    Move up when management was off on vacation or
    what ever. started calling me at maybe 2:00 in the morning to assist.
    lasted a week. no thanks. want to go back to rank.
    i didn't want to marry it.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  7. lucasbytegenius

lucasbytegenius New Member

I have enormous fun at work. Basically I just sit around all day and solve math problems, analyze word roots, and ponder on the relevancy of a 1960s government book.

8. ghost183

ghost183 New Member

I have a blast at work! I sit around soldering power jacks to laptop motherboards and fixing computers. :)

9. Motoxrdude

Motoxrdude Active Member

Well, I wouldn't say I have fun at work, but I very much so enjoy my job. There are times at work where I have fun, but it's not like hanging out with buddies. I honestly don't think a job can be fun if your unproductive. I mean it might be enjoyable at first, but I would just be bored. I'm an auto-mechanic technician and I love my job. My boss is like a mentor, the other employees are good people, and I enjoy the challenge of diagnosing and fixing cars.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  10. CrazyMike

CrazyMike New Member

Do i have fun at work?

I play around with 40KV and 600amps all day, with the added bonus of 36,000lb forklift...... Ya i do have fun at work.

Although i would have more fun if i got to clamp up some of my coworkers to the 40kv and watch them squirm, but the average day works for me :)

11. 1337dingo

1337dingo New Member

i fix computers.. thats fun, but when im not im on CoFo.. also fun.. :)

12. Laquer Head

Laquer Head Active Member

I drive a big delivery truck, I meet with cool people, sell stuff, and take breaks anytime I want...yah, my job owns!!

13. JLuchinski

JLuchinski New Member

Sweet, what company do you work for? I love and hate my job, sometimes it can be slooooooooooow and then the next day you won't even know where the time went. I guess I have fun, rather be at home with my kids though.

14. zombine210

zombine210 New Member

my job is ok. recently got some more responsibilities and new skills to learn.
    i find if i'm having too much fun though, i ain't working hard enough.

if i'm working too much, like if problems are piling up, then that's pretty stressful and not very fun.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  15. Geoff

Geoff VIP Member

Being a custodian at McDonald's has it's ups and downs.

16. strollin

strollin Active Member

I work from home and my job is enjoyable, for the most part, especially since I have very flexible hours and don't have to get dressed up or even shave if I don't want to. I mainly write code or documentation which I enjoy. The one part of my job I truly dislike though is meetings. I have to call in and listen in on several meetings a day and I'd rather be doing almost anything else.

17. tremmor

tremmor Active Member

Been a few suck assss i know. Thats theres.
    I told the person that took my job keep your mouth shut and volunteer for nothing.
    We had bulls in the plant and i was one. Never stood tall though like others and yes
    i can do that job. Changing a 10,000 motor for example for environmental.
    Seen people open there mouth and the boss gets focused on him he has that job.
    For now on. Ive talked to bosses in the past why are you abusing that person.
    The others don't know how to do it. Send them. Response.....have to get the job done. Seen them retire many times and tired of abuse. foreman does not want to follow through with it. they will finish it. then they retire then the person that will do it does not know how.

liked my job though in planning. I new my job.
    I was comfortable with it. No rippps from bosses but sometime could have done
    different as far as procedure maybe. Most important, no one hurt because of procedure i wrote. Always worried about that one. Bring people from another department and never worked there and do exactly as mentioned on the work order and job plan.
    I was comfortable with my job and most important i new it.

18. 1337dingo

1337dingo New Member

free stuff?

19. Jet

Jet VIP Member

Some days I love my job. Other days...work is incredibly stressful. I'd say a fun, relaxed atmosphere is definitely productive, but deadlines are deadlines--sometimes fun and relaxed just isn't possible.

20. Laquer Head

Laquer Head Active Member

I work for Cintas, we are uniform and linen rental company, and workwear/clothing/safety equipment reseller.

If you ever need a job, holler at me.