Dvd drive shows up in bios but not in my computer

Discussion in 'CD/DVD/Blu-ray Technology' started by armysgt1, Jan 25, 2011.

1. armysgt1

armysgt1 New Member

A few day days ago I reinstalled windows 7 because I got a new motherboard. My dvd drive has been working fine up until now. It shows up in my bios and in device manager in Windows, but I can't get it to show up in my computer and use the damn thing. I have no idea what could have caused this. It says the device can not start because of an I/0 error. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. StrangleHold

StrangleHold Moderator Staff Member

First try going in device manager, right click on it, click uninstall and reboot and let it reinstall the drivers. If its a IDE drive, you dont have two drives on the same cable with the jumpers set wrong?

3. armysgt1

armysgt1 New Member

OK, just tried that, for some reason it's showing up as an scsi disk device in device manager. This can't be right because it's always shown up as a cd-rom device. And yeah, this is the only drive on the IDE cable.

4. Ryan_Fpv

Ryan_Fpv New Member

This happened to me after using Daemon tools. Still haven't figured out how to fix it, damn thing is useless. If you have any luck, let me know! :)

5. armysgt1

armysgt1 New Member

It's in disk management where I try and initialize it and it says it operation cannot be performed because of an I/O error.

6. armysgt1

armysgt1 New Member

Oh yeah, that may be the problem for me as well. I see now that did just install daemon tools lite and I recognized this problem shortly after. No idea how to fix this though.

7. armysgt1

armysgt1 New Member

I have read countless forums and tried so many things. Looks like I'm going to have to reinstall windows again. Yay!

8. StrangleHold

9. armysgt1

armysgt1 New Member

Already tried it 3 or 4 times. Doesn't find the drive even though it's there in device manager and disk management. Thanks though.

10. StrangleHold

In disk management does it show a drive letter?

11. armysgt1

armysgt1 New Member

No, it shows the disk and says not initialized. I right click on it and try to initialize it and it tells me there is an I/0 error every time.

12. StrangleHold

Try to assign it a drive letter.

13. armysgt1

armysgt1 New Member

There's no option to do that. When i right click on the available space where it says new simple volume,etc, they are all grayed out except for properties.

14. StrangleHold

Missed where you said it was showing up as a scsi disk device. Try finding the IDE controller it is on in device manager, right click it and click uninstall and reboot.

15. armysgt1

armysgt1 New Member

For some reason it doesn't show is as a scsi device anymore, just "disk drive." I just looked through the entire device manager twice, IDE controller is nowhere to be found.

16. johnb35

johnb35 Administrator Staff Member

Post a screen shot of your device manager please.

17. armysgt1

armysgt1 New Member

Hmm, how do i do that? Edit:figured it out hang on.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  18. armysgt1

armysgt1 New Member

How do I make this bigger without going over the filesize?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  19. StrangleHold

Should be listed as something like IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.

Edit
    On the view tab in device manager check show hidden devices.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  20. johnb35

johnb35 Administrator Staff Member

If only it was bigger I could actually see what it says.

Click on the device manager window, press alt and print screen button together, then go to mspaint and press ctrl-v at the same time. Save the pic as jpg.