Dvd drive shows up in bios but not in my computer

armysgt1

OK, I clicked show hidden devices, it shows a category called non plug and play devices and within that menu there is one that says IDE channel. That's all there is as far as IDE, ATAPI. There is an option to uninstall. Should I?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Check your bios for an option if you are using a plug and play OS and choose yes.

However, I just had to reinstall windows on a compaq desktop because the ide/atapi driver wouldn't install correctly. The only solution was to reinstall windows.

Try uninstalling it under non plug and play and reboot after changing the bios to yes for plug and play OS.

armysgt1

Absolutely nothing. The driver is gone but the drive is still showing in the device manager window as well as the bios and disk management.

armysgt1

Yeah, I already tried that. I've seriously tried every possible combination/solution I can think of short of taking a 9 iron to the damn thing. It will even boot a dvd from the bios such as my windows install dvd, it's obviously something to do with windows itself. I just wish i could understand why at this point. Thanks so much for your help.

Last edited:

armysgt1

Yeah, ended up reinstalling windows, now everything is fine. Thanks everyone for all your help. I really appreciate it.