Firearms Deaths world wide.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by striker, Mar 26, 2007.

1. striker

striker New Member

I have a speech due tomorrow on gun deaths. I have been spending all day trying to find a suitable graph, but Google has been giving me whole bunch crap, and go to work now.

What is the total deaths cause by firearms in these countries in 2006?

USA
    UK
    Switzerland
    Canada

If you can help me out I will greatly appreciate it.

2. PohTayToez

PohTayToez New Member

Here is murders by firearm:
    http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_wit_fir_percap-crime-murders-firearms-per-capita

Don't know if that helps... if you could find the statistics, you could make your own graph easily, might check an Almanac.

Just checked mine for 2001, it only had US deaths from firearms.

Good luck finding it... also, note that those countries probably wont rank in the top 50, maybe top 100 in deaths by firearms per capita, as crime rates are relitively low, and we aren't constantly fighting our neighbors. African and Middle eastern counties will probably be the highest.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2007
  3. Punk

Punk Moderator Staff Member

Does anyone have the Big book of Times Magazine, where you have all the stats...

Sorry I can't find mine :S

4. roadkillbob

roadkillbob New Member

why are you giving a speech about firearms deaths? are you a gun control nut ?

5. striker

striker New Member

Not a gun control nut, but I do believe that we need some restrection. And it's only for a grade.

6. roadkillbob

roadkillbob New Member

there are plenty of restrictions for guns..to many if you ask me...the justice system sucks they dont punish the crimminals and there is no deturnant for commiting a crime, whether it use a firearm or not, why dont you do some more research and see how many people have protected themselves and saved lives using firearms, you can contact to NRA and they would be happy to help on that side of the subject. you will never get an honest number for criminal murder rates with firearms as all numbers are twisted to show a different point of view..if you really want to cut the crime rate, the death penalty is a giant step...I have never seen a dead person commit another crime or get paroled to commit more crimes...

7. striker

striker New Member

I agree, I also think that are prisons here are too nice compared to other countries. Japan has low crime because the criminals never want to go back to a Japanese prison. But If the US would make it harder to own a gun then there will be less crimes using firearm. Canada use to have high firearm crimes in the 90's, and it dropped when they added gun restriction laws. Also why would a regular civilian need a machine gun. It's not for make Swiss cheese out a deer when you go hunting. The proof is that countries with gun restrictions have lower crime

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_wit_fir_percap-crime-murders-firearms-per-capita

8. striker

striker New Member

Now I need the Stats for gun deaths in Japan. And I can't find it. Does any one know where I can look for them?

9. 4W4K3

4W4K3 VIP Member

I found...

"Japan, where very few people own guns, averages 124 gun-related attacks a year, and less than 1 percent end in death. "

"Japan had the lowest rate, at 0.05 gun deaths per 100000 (1 per 2 million people)."

But I also found this interesting...

"Notably, Japan, which prohibits handguns and rifles entirely, and regulates long guns very severely, has a suicide rate of more than twice the U.S. level."

10. striker

striker New Member

That’s because Japanese believe that suicide is honorable. If a student doesn’t make it into Tokyo University it is not look down on if he/she were to commit suicide. To them that is the only way to regain there honor. I only know this b/c I took an Asian humanity class.

Is there a way that you can find how many deaths that would equal in one year.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2007
  11. 4W4K3

4W4K3 VIP Member

That's pretty ridiculous. You can still get an outstanding education in many other countries.

I'll try to find the death rate total.

12. striker

striker New Member

Thanks:D , I can't find it on nationmaster.com, and I google it but it is taking way to long. I'm running out of time and have to go to work today:( .

13. 4W4K3

4W4K3 VIP Member

No idea if any of this helps...

[​IMG]

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0004395.html

"Death rate:
    9.16 deaths/1,000 population (2006 est.)"

Pertaining to FIREARM deaths...I can't find anything. It's going to be a very small number in Japan. You may need to just give the percentage/ratio and say the actual number is not calatouged, or at least not available on the internet.

14. striker

striker New Member

That dosn't really help, sorry. I need the total of firearm deaths in one year.

15. TFT

TFT VIP Member

Is this what you want ?

In should be noted that guns are illegal in Japan. In 2006, in the entire country, there were only 53 incidents involving guns, and only 2 deaths, the least in recorded history. And last year, 2006 was the only year on police record in which no one had been killed in Yakuza turf wars. 2007 has already failed at maintaining that record.

Taken from http://www.stippy.com/japan-news-and-media/a-yakuza-war-has-started-in-central-tokyo/

16. striker

striker New Member

That is great TFT. Thanks.

17. 4W4K3

4W4K3 VIP Member

AHA! There it is. Good find TFT :)

18. roadkillbob

roadkillbob New Member

you are absolutely wrong with saying if it was harder to own a gun there would be less crime..what do you think the criminals legaly buy guns?? your thinking is what causes high crime..take away the honest law abiding citizens right to protect themselves, just an example( cocaine was never legal in the USA but it is available just as much as mcdonalds, all over the country everywhere and no one is aloud to posses it legally , so where does making something harder to get help the honest person?) japans crime drop for 1 reason..THEY PUNISH CRIMINALS!!!!.THE RIGHT WAY..and if you want to compare statistics or real fact ,look at all the countries that have banned firearms and the crime rate has gone through the roof, because now only the criminals have guns and they know it..

19. striker

striker New Member

Can you prove that.

20. roadkillbob

roadkillbob New Member

yes it can..goto the nra web site and they have most of the facts, they also show the statistics of towns down south in the us that the crime dropped to almost nothing when they made it mandtory for all residents of town to carry a firearm(not including crimminals or mental patients)