fun things to do with extra pc's

Discussion in 'General Computer Chat' started by marsbars162, Mar 14, 2009.

1. marsbars162

marsbars162 New Member

i have a few pentium 3 and pentium 1 lying around with no purpose. if i can get them running, what should i do on them?

2. laznz1

laznz1 New Member

dominos!!

Web servers?

Modify them to the max

3. massahwahl

massahwahl VIP Member

Put a smoothwall setup together!

4. DirtyD86

DirtyD86 banned

practice cable tidiness, case modding, overclocking, just messing with hardware in general. something to build confidence inside the case if nothing else

5. hackapelite

hackapelite VIP Member

Install Windows 95/98 and clock Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, Heretic and Final Fantasy 7.

6. PHATSPEED7x

PHATSPEED7x New Member

I got a old Comaq that I installed linux on, and maxxed out the RAM. It's a decent computer for web surfing, and document writing.

7. marsbars162

marsbars162 New Member

bios won't let me OC, what is a smoothwall setup? maxed out RAM. Running Linux.

8. massahwahl

massahwahl VIP Member

Smoothwall is a hardware based firewall.

9. Kornowski

Kornowski VIP Member

Have a play around with Linux!

10. Bodaggit23

Bodaggit23 New Member

Most people I think just use them for file sharing servers, or if you
    can get XP on it for some kids games and such. I found a P4 1.8Ghz
    in the gabage that just needed a HDD and PSU and I gave it to my
    kids.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
  11. zombine210

zombine210 New Member

i don't know about firewall, since a good recent modem will have a built in one.
    i set up my P3 as a family computer, for my nephew and niece to play on, and leave my c2d alone.
    i had a P1 computer that ran a live cd arcade emulator on it. it's fun for a while, but there aren't any other good uses for it. it was a 266mhz, 128mb ram and had a 16mb video card. ok for playing frogger, pacman and other classics.
    you could run linux, but even the lighter ones like dsl, puppy, etc run a little slow, for me at least. depends how much you want to get into it. for linux i find it better to run one as virtual machine on my current setup. it's faster and you don't need extra monitors, keyboards, mice, etc.
    since you already have plenty of good computers, i would suggest getting rid of the old inventory so you have more space when you do upgrades on your current computers.
    i god rid of three old hp pavilions that i had lying around. got $40 for them but now my closet looks nicer :)

12. mac550

mac550 New Member

with ya there mate :D, might do the myself later i think

13. tremmor

tremmor Active Member

dam.......you reminded me again.

on the lighter side why not strip one butt naked and use for credit cards and online business. i have a laptop for that. straight shooter. paypal accounts etc.

14. mac550

mac550 New Member

lol i could never get past the first level on Duke Nuken 3D :eek:, *wonders if it will run ok on my quad core :p* i was like 10/11 at the time but still. completed Doom 1 and 2 loads of time, still dont have doom 3 :(