WIndows 10 Future budget build

Vexthewolf2007

Hello everyone, I’m planning on building my first budget build however I wanted to get advise before I commit to buying the parts…

Here’s the current planned setup:

Core i7 8700k, gigabyte b360 aorus WiFi motherboard, 2 8gb Corsair vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 ram, MSI GTX 1060 GAMING X 6G, EVGA 700 GE power supply 700w, Samsung 970 evo plus M.2 1TB SSD, Coolermaster hyper 212 evo cpu cooler, windows 11 install

Would this setup be good for light gaming? Or would I have to go for something more powerful? I’m on a tight budget so it can’t go over 1,000 I’m at 876.30 as of right now since I already own the GPU that I’ve pulled from a relitaves build.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
First off, why are you picking a processor that is 5 generations old? Are these parts used already?

Vexthewolf2007

First off, why are you picking a processor that is 5 generations old? Are these parts used already?
No they are new, I’m not playing too much AAA games and I have a relative who uses the same processor and it works great for them when they game, should I aim for something newer?

Vexthewolf2007

For sure!!! How much are you paying for the 8700k? Also list the individual prices so we can help you better.

I7 8700k - 182.98

GIGABYTE B360 AORUS Gaming 3 WiFi LGA 1151 - 105.42

MSI GTX 1060 GAMING X 6G [ALREADY OWN]

Corsair vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 RAM - 39.99

EVGA 700 GE (700W) Power supply - 79.99 [SOLD OUT ON NEW EGG]

SAMSUNG 970 Evo Plus M.2 1TB SSD - 49.99

Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo CPU cooler 75.00

Windows 11 install - 138.98

With keyboard and mouse retails for about 876.31

beers

Staff member
That's kind of a lot to dump into a dated platform.

I'd at least AM5/DDR5 with a more budget solution like the 7600X, it's like $20 more than the 8700k, has higher performance, and offers you a path forward for upgrades and modern features like USB4/PCIE5/DDR5, the socket is also supposed to support new models through the next couple of years. The motherboard will be a bit more expensive, but you gain some of that investment back through longevity.

You can also grab a Windows key for $15-20ish.

Vexthewolf2007

I'd at least AM5/DDR5 with a more budget solution like the 7600X, it's like $20 more than the 8700k, has higher performance, and offers you a path forward for upgrades and modern features like USB4/PCIE5/DDR5, the socket is also supposed to support new models through the next couple of years. The motherboard will be a bit more expensive, but you gain some of that investment back through longevity.

Huh interesting, I’ll take a look. Also where can you get the key for 20?

Vexthewolf2007

Update: I decided to run with the 7600X and the GIGABYTE B650 GAMING X AX AM5 LGA 1718 AMD B650 ATX Motherboard, I also ditched some of the peripherals because I already have a pair of headphones but without a mic but I don’t really care at this point. My price is now 865.88

Intel_man

VIP Member
Get a better psu. Something like a RM750x is better in the long run if you upgrade that GPU and want to keep a 750W psu. If not... a RM650x would do just fine as well.

As for the mouse, logitech made a replacement to the G502. The G502X fixed the double clicking issue that plagued the mechanical switches on that mouse.

Vexthewolf2007

Get a better psu. Something like a RM750x is better in the long run if you upgrade that GPU and want to keep a 750W psu. If not... a RM650x would do just fine as well.

As for the mouse, logitech made a replacement to the G502. The G502X fixed the double clicking issue that plagued the mechanical switches on that mouse.
Yeah I am planning on upgrading the GPU sometime in the future so I got that, I also got the mouse and the 4.0 NVME SSD