HELP!!! Virus completely locked me out

Status
Not open for further replies.

G25r8cer

Ok norton is un-installed but all the services are still running. Go to task manager and find the things posted below and cancel them.

symlcsvc.exe
ccSvcHst.exe
LUCOMS~1.EXE

Then go to your Programfiles folder and Delete the whole "Symantec" folder. Then go to Program files > Common Files and delete the whole "Symantec Shared" folder. After this is done post a FRESH hijackthis log. Is your pc running better now?

dznutz

i'd get a seagate portable external usb drive. however, since you'll only be using it for backups brand/model won't matter much. just go for the cheapest one.

the portable usb externals range from 50 - 160 depending on size and sale item

also, i'd recommend you back up your most important data NOW before running more scanners. if you don't have the external drive then put them in dvds.

ceewi1

VIP Member
Does Stopzilla tell you where the virus is located? My guess is that it's just an infected restore point, but I'd like to confirm that before we purge the infected restore points.

The only new thing that is appearing in your HijackThis log is Stopzilla, so it is possible that that is responsible for the slowdowns. You may want to try temporarily uninstalling it and see if that makes a difference.

ih8puters

I removed stopzilla and the computer is running much better. Although I didn't have the brains to take down where it said the virus was located. I also installed firefox but can't get it to open. I removed it and reinstalled it with the same result. I've used it in the past and it worked fine. I installed it on my laptop and it is working just fine.

ceewi1

VIP Member
Glad to hear the speed is back to normal. Let's purge the infected restore points.

Please also turn off System Restore, and turn it back on again. This will clean out your infected Restore Points. To do so:

To turn off System Restore, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
2. Click the System Restore tab.
3. Select the Turn off System Restore check box (or the Turn off System Restore on all drives check box), and then click OK.
4. Click Yes when you receive the prompt to the turn off System Restore.

Then to turn it back on again:
1. Wait for Windows to finish clearing Restore Points.
2. Clear the Turn off System Restore check box (or the Turn off System Restore on all drives check box), and then click OK.

As for firefox, one thing to try is to uninstall it completely and then delete the firefox AppData folder, which is located at C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox where <user name> is your user name. Once that folder is deleted, try reinstalling it again.

You will need to set Windows to show hidden files in order to see this folder. To do so:
  • From any folder, select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
  • Select the View Tab.
  • Under the Hidden files and folders heading select Show hidden files and folders.
  • Uncheck the Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option.
  • Click Yes to confirm.
  • Click OK.

veilx

i would GREATLY recommend Avast antivirus, this works great for me, if you can now navigate safely with with your computer, i suggest you back up your files Immediately on a separate hard drive or flash drive (since it seems like you have important files stored in that computer), burning important files on a CD is also slower, yet more secure since viruses cant get into a CD.- also, once you've backed up data, i suggest you upgrade your operating system to a more secure one, dual booting with ubuntu and a windows operating system is a great idea since it's impossible to get a virus with ubuntu, and its a user-friendly OS that you could use if your windows OS isn't working (it's even safer than a mac!)- i suggest you google "Wubi" to install ubuntu easily. - i hope these safety tips help, i know iv'e never lost my important data with these steps.

Buzz1927

Digaredd
i would GREATLY recommend Avast antivirus, this works great for me, if you can now navigate safely with with your computer, i suggest you back up your files Immediately on a separate hard drive or flash drive (since it seems like you have important files stored in that computer), burning important files on a CD is also slower, yet more secure since viruses cant get into a CD.- also, once you've backed up data, i suggest you upgrade your operating system to a more secure one, dual booting with ubuntu and a windows operating system is a great idea since it's impossible to get a virus with ubuntu, and its a user-friendly OS that you could use if your windows OS isn't working (it's even safer than a mac!)- i suggest you google "Wubi" to install ubuntu easily. - i hope these safety tips help, i know iv'e never lost my important data with these steps.
Please don't bump old threads, or talk crap for that matter, thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.