Hookup Multiple Computers to an External Hard Drive

penpenguin

I was wondering if there was I way that I could share an external hard drive through two computers without using the network. I would like to hook them both up to the external hard drive and share it simultaneously using two usb cords.

Is it possible?

Primex

Good question, I'd actually like to know myself. I planned on buying one today and hook it up to my desktop and notebook, but it would be great to have them both connected at the same time so I won't have to continuously change wires on them.

Trizoy

VIP Member
Sacrinyellow5 said:
I think that would work if you were hook up two external HD's to one computer or a scanner and printer to one computer.

I want to say that some of the larger external HD's have the capability to be hooked up to two computers, but I'm not sure if you could transfer data onto it at the same time.

I was mocking them... Without a network connection, or the use of a usb port on a router, you are not able to hook one drive to 2 PC's.

Sacrinyellow5

Trizoy said:
I was mocking them... Without a network connection, or the use of a usb port on a router, you are not able to hook one drive to 2 PC's.

http://www.compusa.com/products/pro..._code=338307&Pn=OneTouch_III_200GB_Hard_Drive

Synchronization of data between two or more computers
Soft-touch over-mold enables stable grip for transport
Dual interfaces:
o FireWire compatible — up to 400MB/sec data transfer rates
o USB 2.0 and 1.1 compatible — up to 480MB/sec data transfer rates

Would that work? Or does that mean you have the option of either using USB or Firewire?
But it also talks about Synchronization of data between two computers, that seems to me like you could have two comps hooked up to it. ??

Last edited:

penpenguin

On a site I was told to look at, there was one that said it would work for storage devices. It would be great, except it said that the auto-switching software would run on windows 95, me, 2000, and XP. I kind of need it to run on Linux, which poses a problem. Do you think there is any way I can work with it somehow?

P11

VIP Member
This is what you need: (Network Required)

Western Digital NetCenter Network Attached Storage
Would you like to share documents, photos, home videos, music – all your digital information – with your office colleagues or your family members? Maybe you’d like to share a single printer with everyone. How about having a single storage center to back up all your office or home data?

Centralize important files so everyone has access, back up critical documents in one location, share one printer with the whole office. Store music files in one location so everyone can play them,centralize family pictures to be viewed from any computer, back up laptop computers, share one printer with the whole family.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1697095&CatId=136

Last edited: