HP laptop doesn't turn on

nikecpikec7

So basically my laptop went dead and didn't turn on anymore. I brought it to the service guy that replaced a chip on motherboard to work normally again.
Laptop was working for 3 weeks then suddenly the battery started falling down when being plugged in. When battery reached 0 laptop shut down and was at same point than before service. So i brought the laptop back to the service guy who said he now replaced this chip with even "more powerful" chip. Same thing happened as the last time, laptop worked normally for exactly 3 weeks, same as previous, literally same amount of days. And now the situation is AGAIN the same. What is going on and how come the service guy can't repair the laptop right?? He is the service guy ffs.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure what you mean by more powerful chip. It just sounds like the charging port is bad on it. I wouldn't be using this person if it were me. How old is this laptop?

nikecpikec7

laptop is 4 years old, well he said that the chip on motherboard was burned and he replaced it, then when laptop died again after 3 weeks he replaced that chip he said with "more powerful chip". I'm not a hardware expert but this doesn't seem to be the problem. I am taking laptop right now for the final service. Then i will see after 3 weeks if the problem appears again. He said it is a possibility that motherboard should be replaced, but that is really expensive. Basically laptop was experiencing time to time automatic shut downs for no reason. And then i could boot it back. But now the computer is dead.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have the bill from the last repair? What does it actually say? When you plug it in, does it show that its charging? Should be a light on near where you plug it in. When you say more power chip, sounds like a better processor, but nowadays processors are soldered onto the motherboard and aren't user replaceable. Sounds like you are being scammed.

nikecpikec7

Do you have the bill from the last repair? What does it actually say? When you plug it in, does it show that its charging? Should be a light on near where you plug it in. When you say more power chip, sounds like a better processor, but nowadays processors are soldered onto the motherboard and aren't user replaceable. Sounds like you are being scammed.
Yeah i have the bill it only says “repair of the motherboard”, when i plug the charger in, the light doesn’t turn on, no not the processor lol, there are other smaller chips on it, he said that the chip was burned so he replaced it with the one that can hold more power or something like that i dont’ know what… can i explain you the whole thing what was happening with laptop? It starts last year

salviszo

Here are some steps and considerations to help you navigate this situation:

1. Understanding the Repair:
    • The description of replacing a "burned" chip with a "more powerful" one is vague and not standard terminology in laptop repairs. It's important to get a clear and precise explanation of what was repaired. The term "more powerful chip" is especially confusing as it doesn't align with typical laptop repair practices.
  2. Charging Issue:
    • The fact that the charging light doesn't turn on when you plug in the charger, and the laptop shuts down when the battery reaches 0%, suggests a possible issue with the charging circuitry on the motherboard or the power adapter itself.
  3. Quality of Service:
    • The recurring nature of the problem and the lack of clear communication from the service technician are red flags. It might be time to consider seeking a second opinion from a different, more reputable repair service.
  4. Correct Power Charger:
    • Ensure you are using the correct charger for your laptop. Using an incorrect or faulty charger can lead to charging issues and potentially damage the laptop.
  5. Cost of Repair vs. Replacement:
    • Given that the laptop is 4 years old and has already undergone multiple repairs, weigh the cost of further repairs against the value of the laptop. Sometimes, especially with older laptops, it might be more cost-effective in the long run to invest in a new machine.
    • Seeking a Second Opinion:
      • Given the situation, it might be wise to have the laptop examined by a different technician for a second opinion. They can provide a fresh perspective on what might be wrong and whether it's worth repairin

The situation suggests the need for a clearer understanding of the repairs done, possibly seeking a second opinion, and considering the overall value of continued repairs versus investing in a new laptop.