Integrated Video Card - FAILURE

i_ming

my computer will not boot and no signal is sent to my monitor. i suspect that it is a video card failure. only problem is that my video card is integrated onto the motherboard. can someone help me solve this problem?

ghost

When you boot the PC up is there any sign of life (fans, hdd, leds, etc...?) if not may just be a fuse gone in a lead. If there is sign of life then check the VGA lead is plugged in. If there is still no signal to the monitor you may have a faulty motherboard.

i_ming

When you boot the PC up is there any sign of life (fans, hdd, leds, etc...?) if not may just be a fuse gone in a lead. If there is sign of life then check the VGA lead is plugged in. If there is still no signal to the monitor you may have a faulty motherboard.

when i turn on the PC, the fan runs and the lights come on. however it seems to be stuck on something... the lights keep flashing in the same pattern over and over, and the cd rom drive (i think) makes the same noise over and over also. no signal is sent to my monitor. I know this isn't a problem with a monitor either because i've tested it on my laptop.

my pc was working just fine until this morning.

also, after clearing the CMOS, instead of the repeating flashing lights and sounds, the computer would beep about every minute. it is a long beep followed by two short ones. still no signal sent to monitor. this lead me to believe that it is a video problem.

Last edited:

bigbird

easy way to test this is add in a dedicated graphics card, just any old one will do, and if it boots up, you know what the prob is. If you dont have a card laying around, borrow one from a friend!

Last edited:

oscaryu1

VIP Member
Onboard video failure isn't really rare, but neither is it common. I'd suggest trying a PCI GFX from another computer... Otherwise, see if you receive any beeps.

Ah yes, now seeing that beep code, it's the GFX.

i_ming

If i buy a new video card, would there be any signal be sent to my monitor? Right now I have no way of going in and disabling the integrated graphics or installing the new card. the only thing i can really do (or that i know how to do) is to reset the CMOS.

i_ming

If i buy a new video card, would there be any signal be sent to my monitor? Right now I have no way of going in and disabling the integrated graphics or installing the new card. the only thing i can really do (or that i know how to do) is to reset the CMOS.

anyone?

oscaryu1

VIP Member

Truthfully, although many people tell you to switch it to "PCI-E/AGP" I have never ever done do in any of my builds (which total to around 10 with onboard video). I'm pretty sure you'll have no problem.