Is 5400RPM better than 7200RPM? (Regarding the lifespan)

Discussion in 'Computer Memory and Hard Drives' started by arsie, Feb 7, 2005.

1. arsie

arsie New Member

Ok, my friend tells me that 7200RPM, although faster, is not a wise decision.

He says that since it is spinning so fast, it is more likely to malfunction in the future and has a much shorter lifespan than the 5400RPM.

Is this true?

From my experience, all I can say is that my 3 hard drives which were 7200RPM have all failed me after a year or two of use. I ended up with clicking noises at first, and then they slowly died.

However, I have had a 5400RPM drive for about 3 or 4 years now and its still working beautifully?

Can anyone clarify this for me?

2. dave597

dave597 VIP Member

im not sure. if this is the case then why do people buy raptors? hard drives normally have quite a long mtbf, longer than 1/2 years i think. because 7200 are built after 5400 drives this means they are built using better technology and less likely to fail?

3. Yeti

Yeti VIP Member

Well, if that were the case then the sub-5000 rpm drives would be even better. I don't know if there's any true correlation between the higher the speed and the longer the life. I've had both 5400 and 7200 rpm drives die on me. I think its more of a brand/quality/technology issue. As the drives get faster, the bearing technology usually advances lessening the strain the drive motor sees. I know there's been some advances in the read/write head technology too, but I don't remember them off the top of my head. Basically to sum up - you can use a 5400 rpm drive if you feel safer and don't mind the slower speed, but its probably not necessary since all drives run a risk of dying at inopportune times.

4. Praetor

Praetor Administrator Staff Member

No because:
    1. The 5400rpm drive is most likely older and any 'advantage' it has is nullified by the fact that it is already old and you'd be comparing to a relatively new 7200 rpm drive
    2. The mechanics and design have improved since the 5400rpm days .... 7200rpm drives last quite long :)

5. Bobo

Bobo banned

I'm still using a couple of hdds from mid-'90s, they work just fine

6. Gew

Gew New Member

Any news on this? I Google'd this question and landed on this thread. Sorry for a quite old rebump, but it's still a much up to date question. I don't know how many 7200RPM drives I've managed to break the last couple of years. Now consideringen a 5400RPM drive, eg. from Samsung's "EcoGreen" line. Ideas? Wildcard? 5400RPM vs 7200RPM in regards of lifespan? Truly?

7. voyagerfan99

voyagerfan99 The Chicken Master Staff Member

My god six year thread bump? Really?

The 5400RPM drives are cheaper and more "eco-friendly" by using slightly less power. As far as lifespan, they're the same as 7200RPM drives.