Is it normal for Energizer Batteries feel hot when charging?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by paulcheung, Mar 21, 2011.

1. paulcheung

paulcheung New Member

Hi guys,
    I just bought this Energizer Charger model #CHCC with two Energizer rechargable AA 2450mA NiMH batteries in the package.
    The Manual say it take about 8.5 hours to charge the 2500mA AA batteries. I start to charge from 3:00 PM this afternoon. about 7 hours. The batteries start to feel very hot after about 2 hours charge. If I put my finger on them about two seconds it actual feel burn my fingers. Is it normal for the batteries feel that hot when charging? anyone has any experience on this?
    Thank you in advance.
    Paul

2. ZachSand

ZachSand New Member

I use Rechargeable AA Energizer batteries 1700mA NiMH, mine have never gotten hot enough that they will burn me, but they have gotten quite hot.

The faster it charges the more heat it produces, 7 hours seems like a long time for batteries to charge though, I might be wrong.

3. paulcheung

paulcheung New Member

The manual say it take 8.5 hours to charge the 2500mA AA batteries. It is hot and not warm. If I put my finger on the batteries more than 1 second it become unbearable. It won't burn the skin to leave a mark.

4. ZachSand

ZachSand New Member

Well I don't believe there is a problem, the NiMh should easily handle the heat.

Negatively, the high heat will probably decrease the lifetime of the batteries, but if you're concerned you might call the company. I did a quick search to see if anyone else had a heat problem but I didn't have any luck

Wish I had some more experience to help you out.

5. taylor22

taylor22 New Member

Hmmmm....I think it's totally normal for rechargeable batteries to feel really hot, but I also have those 15 min. ones, and they're SUPER hot right after because they're using so much energy. Just let it cool down right after it is done charging.

6. lucasbytegenius

lucasbytegenius New Member

Yes it's very normal for this to happen.
    Have you put them in the right way?

7. paulcheung

paulcheung New Member

No I don't use them right away. I just wonder if it is normal for them to be that hot while it charging.
    Thank you guys.

8. lucasbytegenius

lucasbytegenius New Member

I asked if you put the batteries in the right way, not right away.

9. paulcheung

paulcheung New Member

Yes I put them the way it should, It does light up green and charged, just it is very hot.

10. NyxCharon

NyxCharon New Member

Yup, that's normal, i have the same charger and batteries. They get hot, but i've had mine for months and i've had no actual issues with them or the charger other then the heat.

11. Nanobyte

Nanobyte New Member

Not connected directly to the thread but people don't realize how dangerous batteries are. A lot of stored energy, depending on size of course.

I was on vacation and we left the hotel room. Someone forget something so we returned to the room, just in time to see the camcorder burst into flames on a bed. The battery had decided to short out. You can't put the electrical fire out until the short burns itself open-circuit or the battery discharges. There happened to be a stainless steel sink in the room and that's where the camera went. Imagine that on an aircraft.