Lenovo Thinkpad mouse (Trackpoint) left clicking and dragging on its own

novicegeek

Grrrr. I'm at about my wits end. Since my desktop was on the fritz, I turned to my trusty laptop to cover me while I worked on my desktop. Well, suddenly, it seems as if the mouse (synaptic trackpoint) seems to be left-clicking and dragging as I move thecursor. It highlights text, drags items across the page, and even separates tabs from the browser and puts them on their own page. The touch pad has been disabled, I've never had the ClickLock on, I've ran chkdsk, sfc/ scannow, DMIS, a virus scan, and even did a system restore to a time before the problem started. It's still there. I've searched online for answers, but alas, I've found nothing that's worked yet. Does anyone have any ideas of what causes this odd behavior?

I appreciate any insights.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Was anything ever spilled on it? Kinda seems like the button is stuck down and not coming up all the way? I would keep it off and just try taking a wet paper towel, not ringing wet and just keep wiping it even down the sides if you can get to them. Sounds like the whole touchpad is toast thoguh.

novicegeek

There may be something underneath or stuck on the left mouse button. I had noticed, a few days before this troubling symptom reared its ugly head, that I had difficulty getting a press of the left-click button to register. I found that pressing of different parts of the key would finally get it to register, but it would not be the same part of the key. As mentioned, the touch pad has been disabled from the beginning. I hate those things, which is one of the main reasons I purchased a Lenovo - it has the Trackpoint feature, so I don't need an external mouse or touch pad. I'll probably see if I can figure out a way to lift the left-click button off of the keyboard and see what might be wrong. Your belief that it's probably some thing mechanical and not software related makes a lot of sense now.

Thank you for your insight.

novicegeek

Again, thank you, John. You always get me heading in the right direction. The metal disk had gone off center and needed to be re-seated. Then all was back to normal. Posting this for anyone else who might have similar issues.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• IMG_3145.JPG
    IMG_3145.JPG
    481.1 KB · Views: 2