LPK.dll

Zephyr

I used System Restore, didn't like what it did, so I undid the restore. But now ANY program I try to run that isn't part of windows says "(program) can not run because LPK.dll is missing." Something along those lines.

Now I've read up on lpk.dll so I tried replacing the file with a newly downloaded one. Guess what? Need permission even though I'm the highest in admin rights. So I tried safe mode with command prompt. Guess what? Access is denied. I CAN NOT replace lpk.dll. Secondly, as I said, NO programs work. So if I try to use a program to fix the problem automatically, it doesn't work because of lpk.dll. If I try to use a program to stop the access is denied stuff, it doesn't work. I need a way I can FORCE the system into replacing the file. Otherwise there's no way I will ever be able to use my computer again (besides reinstalling the OS).

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What operating system are you on? This could either be a valid file or you are infected. i would suggest start by doing the following and run the rkill program first, try the rkill.scr file first.

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here or here and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
  • At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version. Please keep updating until it says you have the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • A log will be saved automatically which you can access by clicking on the Logs tab within Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

If for some reason Malwarebytes will not install or run please download and run Rkill.scr, Rkill.exe, or Rkill.com but DO NOT reboot the system and then try installing or running Malwarebytes. If Rkill (which is a black box) appears and then disappears right away or you get a message saying rkill is infected, keep trying to run rkill until it over powers the infection and temporarily kills it. Once a log appears on the screen, you can try running malwarebytes or downloading other programs.

Download the HijackThis installer from here.
Run the installer and choose Install, indicating that you accept the licence agreement. The installer will place a shortcut on your desktop and launch HijackThis.

Click Do a system scan and save a logfile

Most of what HijackThis lists will be harmless or even essential, don't fix anything yet.

Post the logfile that HijackThis produces along with the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware log

Zephyr

I don't think you read my post. No programs will work because of this system restore mess up. It has NOTHING to do with viruses or anything hijack this can detect. Plus, I can't even run these programs. Somehow system restore just messed up my whole computer. Thanks a lot microsoft.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
All I'm saying is maybe you had an infection in system restore and when you did the restore it made the infection active again. I have a feeling that this is an infection.

Zephyr

All I'm saying is maybe you had an infection in system restore and when you did the restore it made the infection active again. I have a feeling that this is an infection.

I'm a power user, and I would know if I had an infection. I have a good anti virus and I look at my process list very often for different stuff. I always notice when there's some new process and I look into it. It's not a virus. It's a messed up programming job by Microsoft on system restore :D