Mouse problems (jumping around screen)

deveritt

Got a mouse here that seems to be malfunctioning. Its on 32 bit XP OS. The mouse is just a generic PS/2 wheel mouse. It seems that the mouse will randomly jump up towards the upper right corner of the screen and the move you move the mouse the more it jumps. If you move it very slow you can get around and use stuff, but it will still jump around.

It also will randomly left/right click making this problem very annoying. WE have trying using a USB mouse and no difference. Now here's the weird part...when no mouse is plugged in it STILL migrates to the upper right corner. Any tips on how to fix this would be much appreciated.

veilx

My only guess is that the mouse is defective, press Shift+Alt+NumLock and you can control the mouse via keypad. According with the position of the keys (8 is up, 2 is down, 4-right, 6-left, etc.) you can control the mouse, and click using the number 5 on the keypad, with this, check your mouse settings, and make sure everything's correct, and not out of whack.

DCIScouts

VIP Member
Hmm..., my guess is that the mouse drivers in Windows are corrupted, hence the problem of it moving when there isn't a mouse connected. Unfortunately, the only was I know of to fix the problem would be a complete re-install of the OS. Maybe someone else can give you a more concise fix, but I doubt that it's the mouse if it's doing it with other mice, and when there isn't a mouse connected at all...