New Regulations Make Jailbreaking Legal

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by voyagerfan99, Jul 26, 2010.

1. voyagerfan99

voyagerfan99 The Chicken Master Staff Member

2. linkin

linkin VIP Member

Yeah, you can also break DRM for backups. good news :)

3. fastdude

fastdude New Member

Wow. Good news! Apple might want to make their own jailbreaking software, charge a few quid for it:D

4. russb

russb New Member

Can you please explain break DRM.What is DRM and what does it do,thank you.:)
    I read the Foxnews and understood some of it ie:phones but not the rest.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  5. Aastii

Aastii Global Moderator Staff Member

DRM prevents you from copying and/or converting digital media, so any game, piece of sotware, whatever. You can now break that to copy your games, films, software etc to make backups

6. russb

russb New Member

But is that not pirating.:)

7. fastdude

fastdude New Member

Not if it's legal it ain't ;)

8. linkin

linkin VIP Member

If it's for personal use/bacukps and not redistributed - it's allowed

9. Aastii

Not if you aren't selling it.

If we buy a hard copy of a music CD (rather than a digital copy) we generally upload it to a computer then burn it to a disc to put a copy in the car. We aren't selling it or misusing our right to use it, we just have that copy to prevent the original from getting damaged, lost or stolen. You will now be allowed to do that (not backup programs for a car, obviously, but the equivelant :rolleyes:) with all digital media legally

10. Egon

Egon New Member

I bet apple is steaming about this... But it's very good news!

11. PabloTeK

PabloTeK Active Member

Recent picture from the Orchard/Cupertino/The Apple Oval Office.

[​IMG]

12. russb

russb New Member

So if i had the gear i could copy a game say CoD4 and give a copy to my son,
    how would he be able to play it without a new key.:confused:

13. TFT

TFT VIP Member

..... and where in the article does it say you can break the DRM for backup use? or are you quoting another article.

No, backup for your own peace of mind, not a copy to give to your son.

14. tlarkin

tlarkin VIP Member

This isn't new and it has always been that way. In 2006 they amended that you were allowed to bypass certain things for personal use only. However, a company or corporation's equipment would be different.

The problem is that license agreements are often vague and broad and I think the government is trying to make technology developers make their license agreements more specific and they are saying if you pay your money for you, you own it.

15. Aastii

He wouldn't, and the terms of use of CoD4 and just about any other game say that the game can only be installed on a single system at any one time, or systems only owned by a single person (the computer your son uses would be your son's computer, not yours, even if you bought it, in this context).

You could, if you wanted to, make a digital copy of the disc to store on your computer so the disc can't get damaged and so installation is faster, you could burn that image to another disc as a backup or spare copy, you could not, however, give that disc, or that data in any shape or form to any other person, they must buy their own copy (pay for a liscence and rights to use the software).

16. russb

russb New Member

Right now i understand thanks people.:)

17. bkribbs

bkribbs New Member

Possible change to forum rules?

Congress recently passed a ruling stating that it is legal for people to jailbreak their iPhones and iPods. This can be seen here: http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/blog/6814/

I was wondering if, now that it has been confirmed as legal, we could let this type of discussion be allowed on the forum.

I just wanted to throw this out there. If not, that is your decision.

Thanks,

Bkribbs

18. Cromewell

Cromewell Administrator Staff Member

Wait for ian/apj/mep to say something here but I don't think so. Apple will still say jailbreaking violates their ToS but instead of being able to take legal action they can just void your warranty :p

edit: just found this thread which has more posts so I'm going to merge this one into it.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  19. Danda

Danda New Member

With this legal... I dont suppose someone can help me with my iPod Touch 2G? PM me so I dont spam this thread. Thanks!

20. bomberboysk

bomberboysk Moderator Staff Member

Not seeing anything that says you can break DRM for personal use, i only see uses for professors/film students/etc to embed parts of video clips into projects. Nothing about backups...