Optical mouse question - do they wear out?

Jamin43

banned
I've got a Microsoft Optical mouse that I've been using for about 2 years. There is no ball to wear out like the old style mouses - but Recently I've noticed that I'm losing tracking in the middle of a task.

I checked the optical LED - and it's not blocked by dust - but the light does go from lit - to dark - when the mouse acts up and doesn't respond. It's intermittent - as it will go back to working - but this past week or so - it's been a recurring issue.

Do these things wear out - or do you think it's a software driver issue?

If it's a cheapo mouse wearing out - do the nicer gaming mouses last longer?

thanks

linkin

VIP Member
Sounds like the mouse is dying. typically they normally last a long time (I believe over a decade?)

Also not that gaming mice use an infrared laser. meaning no red light, that's optical.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
I've got some optical mice that are about 5+ years old and they still function great. Of course they aren't used daily, but they did used to be my primary mice. Honestly I can't say I've ever had any mouse give out on me. Well...aside from the primary button sometimes wearing out :p

I'd try the mouse on some other system. I doubt it's worn out, rather just dying. Could be a flaw in the manufacturing or something like that.