P520 Question

Nightfly

Bought a used Lenovo P520 that was supposed to have a W-2135 cpu but it came with a W-2125. If I buy a used xeon cpu for an upgrade, what's the best I can buy for under $300?

I've found W-2145 for $200 or a W-2245 for $300.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I'm a contractor that knows nothing about computers so this build is going to be a lot of fun! Yay for YouTube

Nightfly

Watch YouTube :):)

Seriously though, it's a project for me and my daughter to have fun with so it's not about the money. Trust me, I understand I'm going about this all wrong but I'm just happy she is showing interest in working with her hands to build something. She's watched a bunch of videos on how to make a P520 into a supposed "gaming computer" and She's excited to tinker with it. If we screw it up I can always let my computer guy fix it.

I found a list of compatible cpu's. Any suggestions? I have 2666 ecc ram

Screenshot_20240103_182827_Samsung Notes.jpg

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn't be spending a ton of money on this. The Xeon processors are mainly used for business type applications and are not designed for gaming.

beers

Staff member
It's 4c/8t vs 6c/12t, about $30 on ebay to get the 'correct' one.

It's a 'weird' platform to build around, you basically already have a rough equivalent of a Core i7 7700k. Only a couple of minor differences such as the Xeon being able to do AVX-512, having quad channel RAM and more PCIE lanes. Otherwise I'd expect a 7700k-like performance target, which came out about seven years ago. You could buy a W-2295 on eBay for ~$940 but it wouldn't improve your gaming performance much over what's already in there.

If you're already having a $300 ballpark for just CPU, as an example this bundle would be substantially faster in gaming

Absolute max I'd throw into it would probably be a W-2145 at around $100