PC doesn't recognise my Blu-ray Writer

mohtaj

Hello
I bought a Pioneer BDR-S09XLT Blu-ray Writer but it doesn't seem to show up in windows explorer.
Of the four SATA cable slots on my motherboard SATAII0 and SATAII2 are used by my internal Hard Drives (The former being used by the hard drive which holds windows drive and the latter used up by the storage internal hard drive). When I plug the BD writer to SATAII1, my windows 10 boots up till welcome screen and shows a crash screen and it restarts. And when I plug the BD writer into SATAII3 my PC turns off suddenly halfway through booting up.
I unplugged my internal hard drive which I use to store files, just to check how the BD writer would work plugging it instead (in SATAII2). The Windows 10 boots up fine but my BD writer doesn't show up in Windows Explorer.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What motherboard do you have? Do you have another pc that you can check this drive in? If it doesn't show up in explorer in another one that you can assume the drive is faulty. You did plug in the sata power cable from the power supply?

mohtaj

My motherboard is old. It's GIGABYTE GA-945PL-S3

It recognizes the BD writer in boot screen and in here:

AH9GfKQ.jpg

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Check device manager to see if maybe a driver is needed or an error has occured. Another possibility is that there is a registry issue not causing the drive to show up in windows.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
So there is nothing listed under cd/dvd drives besides your other drive? It should also show up in disc management.

mohtaj

There is only my DVD-Writer. The BD-Writer isn't listed neither in Device Manager nor in Disk Manager:

tZC7KSp.png

mohtaj

I plugged the BD drive to my cousin's desktop pc and it works fine. There must be something wrong with my motherboard. I'm going to buy new motherboard/CPU/RAM

spirit

Staff member
Do you have any SATA ports disabled on your motherboard? Try a BIOS update or reset the BIOS before you buy new stuff. It could be something that's been mis-configured in the BIOS.

mohtaj

I would say there is an issue with the drive itself.
Do you have any SATA ports disabled on your motherboard? Try a BIOS update or reset the BIOS before you buy new stuff. It could be something that's been mis-configured in the BIOS.

I think I have found the problem. My BIOS Version/Date is: Award Software International, Inc. FB 2/12/2007

Do you think this might be the reason causing the problem??

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Check your motherboard to see what revision you have, its usually stamped in the bottom left hand corner. It will either say 1.0, 2.0 or 3.x.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The latest bios version for that board is FD and you are running FB. You can try updating the bios to see if that helps.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You usually put the file on a usb flash drive and then boot to Qflash and run it that way.

You can download the manual and look on page 58 and follow the instructions.