PCI Express for my Barton

Grimulus

What do you guys think is the BEST PCI express mobo for my Barton?

Surely there is one. I haven't gotten to look much so if you know off hand that would be the shizzy.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
AMD boards dont have PCI Express yet. Neither is there a need for PCI express for most people as the PCI bus is still yet to be saturated.

Grimulus

i could have sworn someone told me there was a PCI-E AMD. I assume you're right though.

The reason being me asking this is because I was going to buy a new video card(hence my post about ATI and Nvidia) and I was thinking I should just get a PCI-E mobo. so yeah...i should just go ahead and get the agp? would there be an uber difference in an x800 for my amd and the PCI-E on for the P4s?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
'sides even if that had PCI Express for AMD it would be for the A64 line not the A32 line :)

Grimulus

true praetor. so yeah as far as technology goes for the 32bit processors i might as well just go ahead and get agp?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah and realistically there isnt a game out yet that seriously stresses AGP8X yet so you'll be fine! that PCI-x 16 thing is just a buncha marketing mumbo jumbo (for now)

Grimulus

finally someone gave me something i wanted to hear. i have wondered if the PCI-E really made a difference because I thought it was just a technology to sell products. I never found a hard comparision.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Think of the new PCIx as AGP16x but since AGP8x is barely tested.... makes it kinda moot point.

Grimulus

Yeah...I knew that I just wasn't sure if games were coming out soon to push those limits...but i don't see a whole lot surpassing doom 3 for a while and even after that while i don't see why an 6800gt wouldn't run that at least decently.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
They could easily begin to surpass Doom3 and in fact with Ultra High Quality mode they've gotten themselves into a completely new ballgame. Dynamic Lighting and shadowing really is quite passe and has been around for a long time. (hell the GF3Tis supported primative dynamic lights).

With the Ultra quality mode, you move away from flat lighting to volumetric lighting and shadowing -- typically something you see with animation and such. Of course for realtime capacity for volumetric fog and haze and such would require an insanely fast system bus/core combination as GPUs simply dont have the horsepower to crunch that kinda stuff out :D

Grimulus

i knew ultra would do that but i'm talking about like as a requirement to make the game look good. know what i mean? running farcry and doom 3 on low setting sucks and with my flat panel i'd like to kick in some 1280 x 1024 res because it's my native. so yeah, that's all i'm looking for. :)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
You can run 12x10 on a 6800. What I was talking about couldnt be done with five 6800UEEs because its very CPU intensive (i.e., faster than realtime 3D rendered volumetric environemnts)