PCLinuxOS vs. Kubuntu

jmedina

I'm trying to get somebody to use Linux. They are used to Windows. Should I let them try Kubuntu or PCLinuxOS?

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
either of them they are good.

Kubuntu is nice though.

i prefer Suse more though :)

jmedina

I think I'm going to show him Kubuntu first. If he does not like it, I will show him PCLinuxOS. I have already tried the Kubuntu Live CD on his computer and it runs very good and all of his hardware is seen.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
what does he do on his pc?

whats the system specs?

you could try Ubuntu and instal Beryl on it for the nice fancy effects:)

jmedina

He is very used to Windows. And, I'm trying to convince him. I just upgraded the RAM in his Machine today. There is about 640 MB. It used to have 256 MB. Which ran horribly slow. It is being used in a classroom. So, I'm guessing a lot of word processing. Which in that case I can use openoffice. I tested his printer with the Ubuntu CD today and it worked great. Would you recommend GNOME? I'm probably going to ask him if I can Format the Hard Drive and run Ubuntu solo. Because, There is a lot of spyware on his copy of Windows. How does Beryl work?

diroga

well KDE looks like windows more than gnome, you could move the task launcher to the bottom for gnome.

why are you try to make him use gnu/linux?

jmedina

It doesn't catch viruses, Half the stuff he does on windows can be done on Ubuntu , and the Student's can be introduced to a new operating system. But, Right now it is still moving slow because it is impossible to remove the Spyware that is on there. Plus, It is a lot easier to install than Windows. I will probably show him KDE.