Possible to repair a bad SATA port?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Okay, read what I am saying.

If hardware is functioning normally, IT WILL NOT DEGRADE OVER TIME!

If hardware is damaged, that is a a different story.

Okedokey

The only degradation known to be reported was with the P67 and H61 chipsets from circa 2011. This was a flaw in design. Normal working unflawed chipsets do not degrade over time. Period. You can have your own opinions, not your own facts.

Okedokey

I've concluded one of the SATA ports on my Gigabyte mobo has gone funky, getting 4mb/sec out of it. Switching to another port cures the issue so it must be an issue with that port.

Any such thing as a fix for a SATA port?

1. Download and update the latest BIOS.
  2. Clear the CMOS and load default BIOS settings. Save and Restart.
  3. Enter BIOS and set your custom settings (e.g. boot priority and so forth).
  4. Enter WIndows and download the latest chipset and SATA drivers to another USB stick. Worthwhile also downloading the F6 SATA drivers.
  5. Set a Windows Restore Point.
  6. Restart in safe mode and uinstall all SATA drivers.
  7. Restart again in SAFE mode and re-install all SATA drivers with newest drivers.
  8. Install chipset drivers.
  9. Restart normally.
  10. Test SATA port.

Jamebonds1

Please define what you're doing to " take care of your computer " that involves the physical sata interface.

First of all. I have been take care of my computer with any follow safely. I do not exceed force SATA or USB jumpdrive to insert. I made sure that I using quailty cable for any type of interface. I clean my computer once each three month. If part of my tower case has broken, then it is not me. My tower don't stay high quailty for 5 years, ever if I treat tower well. So, my audio port, USB and eSATA does not work right now. It is an port that lossing quailty over years.

Okay, read what I am saying.

If hardware is functioning normally, IT WILL NOT DEGRADE OVER TIME!

If hardware is damaged, that is a a different story.

If you're saying that degrade does not mean lossing quailty, then blame Merriam-Webster not me. I just want another member or you to stop disagree with me for the all time, because I do not care what another member given feedback.

I see what you said in second sentence that state hard drive won't getting slower each years. My hard drive are getting slower, that I called degradation or lossing performance, then how do I get it back to normal speed?

Okedokey

Lol
  1. Download and update the latest BIOS.
  2. Clear the CMOS and load default BIOS settings. Save and Restart.
  3. Enter BIOS and set your custom settings (e.g. boot priority and so forth).
  4. Enter WIndows and download the latest chipset and SATA drivers to another USB stick. Worthwhile also downloading the F6 SATA drivers.
  5. Set a Windows Restore Point.
  6. Restart in safe mode and uinstall all SATA drivers.
  7. Restart again in SAFE mode and re-install all SATA drivers with newest drivers.
  8. Install chipset drivers.
  9. Restart normally.
  10. Test SATA port.

Lets get back to the OP's question and await the outcome of the above. I am pretty confident this will resolve the issue.

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
I see what you said in second sentence that state hard drive won't getting slower each years. My hard drive are getting slower, that I called degradation or lossing performance, then how do I get it back to normal speed?

You realize that's a data/software issue correct? Over time files get fragmented, causing longer seek times, causing slower performance. Nothing 2-3 Defrag cycles using <insert favorite program here> can't cure.

Moving hardware (literally, parts that move - platter HDDs, fans, cooling pumps) degrade with time; static hardware (parts that don't move - PCI slots, USB ports, ethernet ports) do not - when they fail, they simply fail. Incidentally, this is why HDDs most often have predictable symptoms that they are failing and SSDs just stop working with no warning.

If you have a USB port that's not working, it's the port. If you have one that slow, it's the component connected to it.