Printer offline

novicegeek

I wonder if you can help me. I've got an HP Officejet 6500 Wireless. The other day, I tried to print something (wirelessly) from a laptop using Windows 7. It said the printer was offline. When I pulled down the menu, it only gave an option for using the printer offline - I could only check or uncheck the option.

Upon doing some looking, I think I might have found a clue. I have set the printer to a static IP addresss ending in .1.3. However, when I pulled up the device manager, under the printer properties it gave the location as .1.2.

Okay, here's the problem. How do I get into this IP location given to change the darn thing? I think if I simply changed the location to the .1.3 IP address, it would work. The desktop seems to work fine (last time I tried to print something from it).

And by the way, it did work the last time I tried to print from the laptop. I have no idea what happened.

Do you think you can provide some answers?

I'd appreciate it greatly. Thanks.

Novicegeek

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I've never had to set a wireless printer with a static ip address. If it prints fine from one computer but not from another, just reinstall the printer from the pc that is having problems and that usually fixes the issue.

novicegeek

Hey johnb35,

I knew that reinstalling the dang software would be an option, but I was kind of trying to avoid doing that (since this laptop doesn't have a CD drive and it's such a pain in the butt). Ugh... is there an easier way?

Thanks for your advice.

novicegeek

One more printer question

Hey, I've got to know something. The time before last, when I uninstalled and reinstalled the printer, it wouldn't work. Then, after some online searching, I found that I had to not just uninstall it but also remove the printer from the registry. After removing it from the registry, I installed it and it worked like a charm.

So here's the question: Why do I have to remove the printer from the registry? What does that do that makes reinstallation possible?

Thanks in advance for the info.