Problem with my Dell Vostro 200...

behringer420

Hey!

Ok so today I switched on my computer as I do everyday, and for some reason my monitor seems to be stuck at the Dell screen. It has the Dell logo in big blue writing, underneath it says BIOS Revision 1.0.3, and on the top it says F2 = Setup F12 = Boot Menu.

I switched my PC on and off a few times but still got the same problem. Even when I try pressing F2 or F12 on my keyboard, nothing happens. I don't think my keyboard or mouse is being recognised because when I press the caps lock key the green light doesn't show as it always used to.

I'm really not sure what the problem could be, I have nothing else plugged into the computer, no usb stick, no cd in the drive, no other usb drives.

Does anyone know what I can do to sort this out?!!

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
My guess would be defective memory. Open the case and take out all but one stick of RAM and see if it POSTS successfully.

behringer420

Hmm thats strange! I forgot to mention I upgraded my pc about a month ago with an extra 4gb of RAM. I tried taking the RAM out and putting it back.. and now the PC loads fine lol. Strange.. never experienced anything like this since the RAMS been in

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Hmm thats strange! I forgot to mention I upgraded my pc about a month ago with an extra 4gb of RAM. I tried taking the RAM out and putting it back.. and now the PC loads fine lol. Strange.. never experienced anything like this since the RAMS been in

Sometimes that just happens. Unfortunately I've dealt with several Vostro 200's and 220's in the past and constant re-seating has to be done every once and a while. I haven't found a total cause or fix besides a mobo replacement.