RAM Issue on New Build - Will Not Boot

LoveMonkey

Good Evening,

I've just put together my first computer and I'm having some trouble getting it to start. I've tried a few things, but my knowledge is limited so here is what I have done:

1. Start the computer with only motherboard and cpu - The computer powers up, then I get a memory debug code 53 and the speaker beeps on and off at me
2. Start the computer with one stick of RAM - I've tried two sticks of RAM in two seperate slots and get the same memory debug code 60 (or b0) I get with all four installed
I've got:
ASRock Fatal1ty X99 Professional motherboard
Intel i7 5960X
Corsair Vengence LPX DDR4 3000Mhz RAM (16GB Sticks x4)

I find it hard to believe (although not impossible, I'm sure) that I got a motherboard with two faulty slots or two faulty sticks of RAM.
Are there compatibility issues with RAM that I don't know about?

Thanks in advance

EDIT: Looking at this link it seems like the RAM I bought is not compatible. Can someone please confirm that I'm reading correctly?

http://www.asrock.com.tw/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty X99 Professional/index.asp?cat=Memory

Thanks

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Just because it's not on the memory support list doesn't mean it won't work. I would try doing a cmos reset and see what happens. It's actually b0 error code, meaning memory or cpu issue. Did you install the cpu correctly?

LoveMonkey

Thanks for the response. I had read somewhere that if I get the error beep when the computer starts without the RAM then the CPU and motherboard are ok. Is this the case?

I tried a CMOS reset, but don't know if I did it correctly so I'll google it and try again.

A friend of mine just pointed me to this website:

http://ark.intel.com/products/82930...ssor-Extreme-Edition-20M-Cache-up-to-3_50-GHz

which says that the processor supports speeds of DDR4 1333/1600/2133.

Would this mean it wouldn't run with the 3000MHz, or would it just run at max 2133?

Thanks

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Doesn't really matter what the cpu support, motherboard supports it. Just realized your board has 8 ram slots, are you putting the sticks in the first 4 slots closest to the IO plate?

LoveMonkey

I'm putting the sticks in A1, B1, C1 and D1 according to the manual. They are the black slots on the motherboard as far as I can tell.

I've just reset CMOS and I'm about to try again.

Thanks again

LoveMonkey

I reset CMOS according to the manual - power off, power lead unplugged, held down the Reset CMOS button on the back of the motherboard, probably for about 10-20 seconds in the end.
I have tried all four sticks of RAM in slot A1.
I tried one stick in slot A2 and a different stick in slot B1 to be sure.
I'm pushing the sticks in until one end clunks into place and the other end clicks the latch closed. Visually they appear to be seated flush in the slot

I still get code b0, but I have realised the code 19 flashes up momentarily before this. That could have been happening before as I wasn't watching the debug display when I powered it up earlier.

Thanks

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What I would do is contact Asrock and give them details on what is going on and see what they say. But error 19 is another memory error. From what I've seen online many boards with this error has been rma'd.

LoveMonkey

Thanks for the reply. I've just found a post on the ASRock forum about the same problem with 16GB sticks and a new version of eufi which resolved the error. This goes a little beyond me though, so I'll ask on that thread.

Thanks again

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You require a bios update, I just looked. However, its hard to update bios when it doesn't boot. You may have to get lower speed ram to see if it boots.

LoveMonkey

Thanks,

I have found on the ASRock forum someone who got a bios flash update 1.35 which resolved their issue. I found my bios chips (there are two, I don't know if that's normal) and the sticker on them says 1.10, so I may be able to get the same resolution. I'm not sure of etiquette here, but if it's permitted and the solution works I can link to the thread on that forum for anyone else who is suffering the same problem.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Question... Do you have any expansion cards plugged into the pci express slots? Make sure they are seated correctly also.

LoveMonkey

I do currently, but even without them in I ran into the same problems. I have left them in for now because they are safer there than elswhere in my home, but when it comes to testing something new I can take them out again. Two of the cards are only short (x1?), but the graphics card is x16. I have read that the x1 cards are ok in the x16 slots and that the single graphics card has to go in the top slot, closest to the CPU to be recognised. I hope this is true.

Thanks

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I have read that the x1 cards are ok in the x16 slots and that the single graphics card has to go in the top slot, closest to the CPU to be recognised.

Video cards can go in any of the x16 slots but usually the lower ones run at a slower speed, top one runs the fastest. If you contact asrock, they should be able to tell you what bios version the board shipped with. But most likely you'll need to update it or like I said, try using slower speed ram and update then.

LoveMonkey

I've left a message on their forum so hopefully they will read it and get back to me. If I haven't heard from them by the weekend I'll head into town for a cheap stick of RAM to see if I can get it started that way.

Thanks again for your time. I'll keep you updated on my progress, but I don't think there is anything more I can try tonight by the sounds of it.

LoveMonkey

Good news. I got into BIOS using a 4GB 2400Mhz stick of Corsair LPX (the same Brand/Model as the 16GB Sticks) and upgraded to version 1.80. With the new BIOS installed I've been able to boot it up with the 16GB sticks and I'm setting up Windows now.

Thank you for your help