Slow Internet Speed

GypsmJim

Just had Spectrum cable installed. Paying for 300 mbps, they guarantee 210. Most times I only get 150, but at times its as low as 40-50. It's the variability that bothers me most.

Had the service tech out. The line into the modem is 1.2 gigs and the ethernet into the computer is 300+. The WiFi out is also 300+.

The wifi computer is on the other side of the house and the receiving signal (per the tech) is lower, but still accepatable. Sometimes the wifi compter shows 150, and sometimes 40.

Where do I start troubleshooting?

PS - all new equipment other than the computers
Only 1 unit running at a time.
rebooted everything several times and no change.

beers

Staff member
What are you using to test?

Wifi across the house is always going to have more variable performance.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What speed are you getting at the wired pc? Are you getting bad speed at both or just the wireless pc? I can tell you right now that a wireless pc will only get about half of what the total speed is. So the 150 is about right if you are getting 300

1. Age of system/specs of system
2. What type of wireless hardware do you have? AC/AX/N
3. Updated wireless driver?

GypsmJim

What speed are you getting at the wired pc? Are you getting bad speed at both or just the wireless pc? I can tell you right now that a wireless pc will only get about half of what the total speed is. So the 150 is about right if you are getting 300

1. Age of system/specs of system
2. What type of wireless hardware do you have? AC/AX/N
3. Updated wireless driver?
I'm not up on all the technology and terminology so please bear with me. For now, let's concentrate on the wired computer. I understand that wireless may show lower, but the wired one does not meet my expectations either.

The main computer is 2 feet away from the modem and is connected by a 3' long Ethernet cable. The technician plugged the end of my cable into his hand-held device and said his modem is outputting 320+. But when the cable is plugged into my computer, my speedtest.net shows a variable number, between 50 and 150. Just moments ago I got 250, but that was an anomaly.

The computer is a 5 year old desktop Dell. The internet specs show it should be capable at least up to my expected 300. I'm running McAfee and the computer's firewall is disconnected, in favor of theirs. I disconnected the firewall for 15 minutes and it made no difference.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Can you give me the service tag number of the Dell? Do you know how to check driver date? When was the last time windows was installed? A lot things come into play here.

GypsmJim

Can you give me the service tag number of the Dell? Do you know how to check driver date? When was the last time windows was installed? A lot things come into play here.
Thanks for your replies.

The computer is an Inspiron 3252 bought in 2017. I believe it came with windows 7. It was upgraded to Windows 10 some time later. I don't remember when.

The Svc Tag is 1BK2YD2 and express svc code 2875640438.

Which driver are you referring to? (I guess I don't know how)

Adding to the confusion, after the tech left I turned off the computer and have been upstairs in my office on my wifi connected computer. This morning it was giving me about 50, and now its up to 195.

THAT's what i mean by variability.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Ok. So according to Dell this unit was shipped February 2017 with Windows 10 preinstalled.

You will have drawbacks here as far as system performance.

1. Looks like it only has an N3700 Celeron which is a quad core 1.6 ghz cpu, celeron is bottom of the barrel performance processor.
2. Using a 1tb mechanical hard drive - running an ssd would increase performance
3. Only has 1 memory slot which only holds up to 8gb
4. Wifi card only supports up to 150mbps

As far as this machine goes, if windows hasn't been reinstalled in the 6 years you've had it then its definitely time. You could also run a malware program such as Malwarebytes. Also since your system has low specs then you'll want to disable any unnecessary programs running at bootup. Mcafee is a big drain on system resources alone. Windows 10 comes with windows defender already. You may want to think about getting rid of Mcafee.

Are both of your machines the same or different? Would need to know what the other one is if its different.

GypsmJim

4. Wifi card only supports up to 150mbps

Windows 10 comes with windows defender already. You may want to think about getting rid of Mcafee.

Are both of your machines the same or different? Would need to know what the other one is if its different.
Thank you so much for your help.

I knew the Wifi only supported 150 from the specs, but I'm running it on an Ethernet so I assumed that should provide more. Certainly it HAS, but not consistently.

Since my first computer way back when I have had a few problems with viruses, but since using Mcafee I have had zero problems so I thought that was a good choice.

My second computer is on Wifi and it IS different.
ST: 8RJLH63
EX: 19079760171
The specs say it should get 292, but it has never gotten close. The tech's handheld says it was good in the room.

Once again, it's the inconsistency that has me bothered.

Thanks again.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Max speed for that particular wireless card is 433mbps.

This system is still using an antiquated mechanical hard drive.
It has 12gb of ram.
I5 10400 6 core 2.9 ghz processor.

Unless you have a speedy system, your wifi won't be performing well. Changing out the HDD for an SSD should help some. Disable any unneeded programs running at bootup. I can get pretty close to my max speed of 1GB with xfinity on wired but can only get half that on wifi using my S20+

On Wifi I just got 528mbps and I'm only about 6 feet away from my Asus AX3000 router. I have 16gb of ram, NVME SSD and an I7 processor.

So I just want to say that its most likely that you just have system limitations with the current hardware you have.

GypsmJim

So I just want to say that its most likely that you just have system limitations with the current hardware you have.
Thanks again for your help. I think that kinda sucks. Are you supposed to buy a new computer every year? (rhetorical question) The second one I detailed for you is only a few years old. It is inconceivable that it is already outdated.

I retired my traveling business laptop in 2011. It was a top-of-the-line model, but I didn't need it any more because I semi-retired. I bought it in about 2009, and only stopped using it because it had unsupported Windows XP. Just for laughs I dusted it off today and charged it up and it was lightning fast - it got over 300, which is all I'm paying for, and it left my new computers in the dust.

On another note (I'm just venting here), in the corner of my office is a 1980's IBM AT. It is not used on the internet, but it still works perfectly well for the home Lotus 123 files that have been in use for all these years. I originally paid 2 grand for it.

Thanks so much again. I guess I'll just live with what I have.

Couriant

Ethernet speeds should not be at that level for sure. Make sure you use Dell Command Update to ensure you are using the latest BIOS (firmware) and Ethernet drivers. Also try a different port on the modem/router if possible.

I would also recommend removing McAfee in favour of Microsoft’s built in security as it has been better in recent years as well as 3rd party internet security programs can hamper internet connectivity.

If you haven’t done an reinstall of Windows at all then I would recommend that. Whether you use Dell OS recovery or Microsoft’s Media Creation Tool, that’s up to you but you would want to install and run Dell Command Update also for the drivers

The other option to confirm if it’s the port (which is capable of 1Gbps) that the problem is to purchase a USB 3.0 to Ethernet adapter (about $20) and plug it in the front blue ports to see if you get the speed that you meant to.