Speed up adivce

aviation_man

Hey all I have a Compaq Presario 2100 Laptop (Intel Celeron (forgot the GHz) 192MB RAM (I know,192. What a joke :p), Windows XP)

I was seeing if anybody had any tips on some things that can help to speed it up? I did all the obvious stuff like defrag, clean programs/uninstall, changed the skin, scan and stuff like that.. And I know that more RAM will help... But is there anything software wise that can help? Like something that runs in XP that is unnecessary? Thanks!

It also seems like Adobe reader had slowed it down quite a bit, unfortunately. I would just uninstall it but I use it constantly. I know that XP has a few programs out there that just bog it down when installed..

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
192mb? Upgrade the memory to at least 1gb if you can. You won't be able to do anything else to get it to run quicker, that is just not enough ram to run XP.

aviation_man

Yeah. I know. I'm in the process of buying more memory. But the thing is, it says XP certified, and it came with 192MB of RAM...

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Well unfortunately when XP came out they said minimum memory requirements was either 64 or 128mb. Minimum should be more like 512mb.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You aren't allowing adobe's software to run on bootup are you? Disable it...