The file ‘C:\Windows\system32\Msvcrt.dll’ could not be opened.

andrewanimation

Hello,

I used Halsoft Excite Virtual Places Chat ( http://www.vpchat.com/ ) long ago and I loved it, but I can’t install the program, which is annoying! At the beginning of installation, it gives me the Error:

The file ‘C:\Windows\system32\Msvcrt.dll’ could not be opened. Please check that your disk is not full and that you have access to the destination directory.

I use Windows 7. Running the program under compatibility mode for Windows 2000, XP, and Vista had the same error. Any ideas?
Thanks

sniperchang

You didn't say, so I'll ask: Is your disk full?

You could also try closing any non-essential programs that running, in case one of them is using this Msvcrt.dll file or something.

andrewanimation

No, my disk has 40GB free.
I closed everything I had running, (waited til the end of the day so that I'd be shutting down my computer soon anyway) other than canceling stuff using CTRL ALT ESC, and still I got the same error. Is there anything in particular that I should close in the CTRL ALT ESC listing that may be using that DLL?

TFT

VIP Member
If you have version v180 for XP, try downloading the Vista version v181 which should work in Windows 7.

andrewanimation

I tried renaming Msvcrt.dll into Msvcrt.old, but it says:

File Access Denied
You need permission from S-1-(a whole string of numbers) to make changes to this file
Try Again or Cancel

Hitting Try Again doesn't do anything different. Is there a way to get permission to do it?

I tried their Vista version, TFT, but it actually does the same thing.

FunnelWeb

Try renaming Msvcrt.dll to Msvcrt.old then try installing your app.

similar to what i am going to tell you here

open command prompt and goto windows\system32 directory
- rename msvcrt.dll to different name like "ren msvcrt.dll msvcrt.dll.bak"
- install your application, but do not reboot
- installation program has propably created new msvcrt.dll, which you should
rename to something like msvcrt.dll.new
- rename msvcrt.dll.bak back to msvcrt.dll
- now reboot if that's required

andrewanimation

I'm a newb with cmd, so what do I type exactly? When it opens, it always says:
C:\Users\Andrew>
...which is my Users folder name. I tried some things but wasn't sure how to go to that directory.

TFT

VIP Member
type cd/windows\system32
that will put you in the right directory, you can then rename as shown.

If you want to see if that file exists then use the dir/p command, this will show a page at a time whereas dir on it's own will race through the lot.