The Macbook is dead. Long live the Macbook air!

billabong27

I actually am glad they got rid of the Macbook. Paying $1000 for those specs on a laptop is ridiculous, even for Apple. Now should they have a full size in that place to replace the Macbook? I think so, but I'd also like to see the black Macbooks back or a black macbook pro option. Atleast they beefed up the air's to make it a little more reasonable.

Anyway....final words, if you were paying 1000 for a c2d and 2gb ram, you mines well pay the extra 200 for the more advanced laptop

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
That's for digital media....as a general requirement, no school will require a macbook, for some digital art or graphic design, of course.

And many School of Arts and Design (such as UIC) require MBPs. Maybe there isn't an entire University that requires it, but it's pretty common for entire schools for require it.

iGeekOFComedy

I know, us Apple people are crazy! A €979 Laptop with an i5 Processor + SSD. 2 Pounds light, 11.6" display = however same pixel res as a 13/14 inch laptop display. Extremely fast I/o that can transfer 10GBps with OpenCL graphics and high performance batteries with great 1000 cycles!?

Why don't we just get hit by a truck :p

/SARCASM!

You can tell a PC fanboy from a mile away.

Granted, 2GB may be a little old however the i5 and the SSD makes up for it.

Both the 11" + 13" can be upgraded to an i7, 256GB and 4GB.

Granted the optical drive is gone however if your buying a computer most likely you might already have one which means you have networking.

Which means Oh Lord: JUST USE THE DVD DRIVE ON THE OLD COMPUTER and wirelessly install it with the provided Apple Software!

Lets not mention if your that fussy you can just buy an external.

I haven't use DVDs in well... As long as I can remember on my own MacBook Pro. I prefer to have HD so I just download them, I have Steam for Games or non steam games usually don't require A DVD anyhow.

Oh and eh.. PM me when Microsoft lets you re-install OSX over the air even if the hard drive is dead or it's a new hard drive. (The new Macs have a new EFI system so when the drive is dead or empty you get an option to join a wi-fi network and/or ethernet and it will simply just re-install OS X over the internet.)

You better hope Windows 8 can do that :p

Last edited:

lucasbytegenius

Well I bet the MacBook Air will go down in price eventually. Otherwise it's just another ripoff and I hope they know it.

Glad to see the Mini go down $100, iirc it used to be that price a few years back, and then they raised it.

iGeekOFComedy

Well I bet the MacBook Air will go down in price eventually. Otherwise it's just another ripoff and I hope they know it.

Glad to see the Mini go down $100, iirc it used to be that price a few years back, and then they raised it.

Find me a 2 pound 11.6" laptop with the same pixel density of a 13/14 computer with an i5 processor, ssd and opencl graphics and a high performance battery.

kthx

speedyink

VIP Member
I know, us Apple people are crazy! A €979 Laptop with an i5 Processor + SSD. 2 Pounds light, 11.6" display = however same pixel res as a 13/14 inch laptop display. Extremely fast I/o that can transfer 10GBps with OpenCL graphics and high performance batteries with great 1000 cycles!?

Why don't we just get hit by a truck :p

/SARCASM!

You can tell a PC fanboy from a mile away.

Granted, 2GB may be a little old however the i5 and the SSD makes up for it.

Both the 11" + 13" can be upgraded to an i7, 256GB and 4GB.

Granted the optical drive is gone however if your buying a computer most likely you might already have one which means you have networking.

Which means Oh Lord: JUST USE THE DVD DRIVE ON THE OLD COMPUTER and wirelessly install it with the provided Apple Software!

Lets not mention if your that fussy you can just buy an external.

I haven't use DVDs in well... As long as I can remember on my own MacBook Pro. I prefer to have HD so I just download them, I have Steam for Games or non steam games usually don't require A DVD anyhow.

Oh and eh.. PM me when Microsoft lets you re-install OSX over the air even if the hard drive is dead or it's a new hard drive. (The new Macs have a new EFI system so when the drive is dead or empty you get an option to join a wi-fi network and/or ethernet and it will simply just re-install OS X over the internet.)

You better hope Windows 8 can do that :p

Alright, for one, boourns to your fanboyism.

1366x768 is not an amazing screen resolution, for a 11.6, 13, or 14 inch screen. If it were me that would be bare minimum for an 11" screen, higher would be preferred. So please spare us the pixel density argument.

Thunderbolt has a grand total of two devices that support it. When I actually have a choice in the accessories I buy then tell us about that.

Video processor...Intel HD3000, enough said.

Battery isn't great, and there are quite a few windows based ultra portables that get better life, in some cases over twice as much.

I'll admit, the online restore is kinda cool, but I can't ever seeing myself using it. Why wait hours for an install when you should have a backup somewhere anyway?

I have to note, I do not think the new macbook air is a ripoff, I own 3 macs, a 4g touch and a 6g nano, and i bought osx lion, even though I had to buy more ram to install it. Just voicing my opinions on the obvious exaggerations.

Last edited:

iGeekOFComedy

Alright, for one, boourns to your fanboyism.

1366x768 is not an amazing screen resolution, for a 11.6, 13, or 14 inch screen. If it were me that would be bare minimum for an 11" screen, higher would be preferred. So please spare us the pixel density argument.

Thunderbolt has a grand total of two devices that support it. When I actually have a choice in the accessories I buy then tell us about that.

Video processor...Intel HD3000, enough said.

Battery isn't great, and there are quite a few windows based ultra portables that get better life, in some cases over twice as much.

I'll admit, the online restore is kinda cool, but I can't ever seeing myself using it. Why wait hours for an install when you should have a backup somewhere anyway?

I have to note, I do not think the new macbook air is a ripoff, I own 3 macs, a 4g touch and a 6g nano, and i bought osx lion, even though I had to buy more ram to install it. Just voicing my opinions on the obvious exaggerations.

The HD3000 is on par with the last 13" MBP graphics and it's openCL. Grand total of 2 devices? More like 4-5 (Granted not a ton more). In terms of battery, since when did Windows Ultra Portables use the latest battery technology that can take 1000 charges before going below 80% performance. And if you own a 13" Mac at all, you'd know that's still 1280x800 for the Pros or the old Plastic ones.

----------@ Everyone-----------

Here's the performance of the new machines

RAW POWER PERFORMANCE TESTS:
macbook-air-2011-benchmarks.jpg

macbook-air-2011-benchmarks-1.jpg

macbook-air-2011-benchmarks-2.jpg

mba11_han.gif

mba11_mot.gif

mba11_cin.gif

mba11_por.gif

The New Airs for it's price €979 is perfectly reasonable. (Granted the gaming isn't it's finest hour, however I don't know of another €979 ultra portable out there with this much power)

Source: http://osxdaily.com/2011/07/20/macbook-air-2011-benchmarks/

Anyhow, that's my final argument as I don't want to have a 12 page debate.

Last edited:

speedyink

VIP Member
The HD3000 is on par with the last 13" MBP graphics and it's openCL. Grand total of 2 devices? More like 4-5 (Granted not a ton more). In terms of battery, since when did Windows Ultra Portables use the latest battery technology that can take 1000 charges before going below 80% performance. And if you own a 13" Mac at all, you'd know that's still 1280x800 for the Pros or the old Plastic ones.

Being on par with another integrated gpu is nothing to write home about.

Sorry, the macbook air review I read stated that only 2 devices were available, I suppose it's outdated.

I didn't say nothing about charge cycles. That is a handy quality. I was just stating the battery life coulda been longer.

I realize the 13" macbooks have 1280x800 screens, I have one. I'm just saying it's not a great screen resolution. Sony's Vaio P Series' 8" screen had 1600x768 resolution, that's a great resolution.