The movie Swordfish, with regards to computers and coding, unrealistic?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by leeroyMarv, Jan 23, 2007.

1. leeroyMarv

leeroyMarv New Member

I have heard so many people say that the movie Swordfish is completely unrealistic, most notalbly the scene in which Hugh Jackman creates the worm. I have heard a lot of people say that when you create a worm, cubes dont magically attach themselves to a larger, rubix like cube. I don't know whether this is correct but i was under the impression that Hugh Jackman (or Stanley Jobson in the movie) created the 'Worm generator tool' which he uses to create the worm, if that makes sense. Therefore, he would have created the GUI of the rubix-like cube and each smaller cube attaching itself intentionally to indicate the completion of each successive sub module of the worm, in other words what you see in the movie is what he programmed that program to do and to look like, that's just the impression I got though and I don't know if its necessarily correct. By the way, does anyone happen to know what programming language Hugh Jackman uses in the movie? It appears me to be either PERL or Python, but I really dont know much about programming languages and ths am probably wrong. Any comments welcome.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2007
  2. Christopher

Christopher <b>VIP Member</b>

Everything in the movie is completely fake and could never actually happen, it's just pure entertainment ;) Movies about computers always seem to portray some crazy cool GUI with green text on black backgrounds and hacking is a matter of stamping on the keyboard until the system emits some 'bleep' sound. Pretty funny :D

I don't remember him actually programming anything. I only remember reading some commands from a terminal-like interface (I say 'like' because they once again overdid the GUI) when he was "hacking" the DOD at the beginning. Is this what you mean? He wasn't programming there, he was just navigating directories in the console as far as I could tell.

I own the movie and in spite of how inaccurate and corny it is, I still really like it :D

3. magicman

magicman VIP Member

It's been a long while since I watched the film, but I can definately say a serious programmer wouldn't waste his time designing something that looks pretty. That's Hollywood - they're making it pretty for the viewers. ;)

Edit: I like the film as well.

4. leeroyMarv

leeroyMarv New Member

Yes, but isn't it possible that if someone wanted to waste their time they could actually program that GUI as seen in the movie that responds as shown in the movie? With regards to the programming, instances occur, especially visible when you pause the film,
    1: when he's sitting at the desk and typing (while music is playing in the background)
    2: when he is inside the bank wiring the money to the accounts.
    With regards to that scene when he is navigating the directories can you actually do that on the computer and how did he know what the directories were or would be (as he writes a whole list of them in mere seconds)?

p.s. example, here is some of the code from the bank scene, any ideas on the prog lang?

trace routing to (11.32.12.01),40 hops max,10 hops min 40 byte packets
    hub 06,single dest with 1 sec. a dest flood
    maxcount = 2; #Maximum allowable number of number of ACK/RST
    maxtime = 5; #Maximum allowable time for maxcount to occur
    source = 0;
    port = 0;
    target = 0;
    filter portscan ip (),timer clock = 360 minutes > clock zero than 1 minute
    timer = 0,cancel clock timer
    route ID_23349987987 Monte Carlo
    stop HOP

Last edited: Jan 23, 2007
  5. dragon2309

dragon2309 P.I Dragon

You obviously didn't read the opening sentence to Chroders post....

6. Cromewell

Cromewell Administrator Staff Member

I noticed that too, there's always some fancy screen with a progress bar that takes just the right amount of time for the character to narrowly escape with the data copied to some disc :p

7. magicman

magicman VIP Member

Mission Impossible anyone? :p

One other thing I've noticed is that computers in the films always emit these beeps whenever it's doing something, and all these 'computer' noises. I don't know about you, but if the pc was making noises every time I touched the keyboard, I'd rip out its speakers! :)

8. Cromewell

But if it doesn't beep Cletus the slackjawed yokel (watching the movie of course) wont know that the magic box is doing any work :p

And sometimes it does beep and otherwise make sound whenever you do something, played a RTS recently? :p

Swordfish wasn't the only unrealistic hacking movie, at least with the matrix (the original was the only good one, I don't care what anyone says) the hacking wasn't supposed to be on a real system

9. apj101

apj101 Administrator Staff Member

I love the film swordfish, there's an awesome scene in there....but it has nothing to do with hacking or computer ;)

10. Archangel

Archangel VIP Member

Never seen that movie tbh =o

but talking about bleeps.. ever noticed that all detonation charges in movies bleep too? I mean.. "let's set up a trap with this C4.. bleep bleep, here I am!, defuse me!

11. dragon2309

dragon2309 P.I Dragon

yeh.... it's all a bit over-cliche.... i would be dead impressed if my computer made all those sounds when openging a directory.... but really, have you noticed that it actually LISTS the files... as in, you can see the list growing, they must be god awful pc's to be opening the fodler that slowly

I watched "Hackers" last night and its filled with ton's of this type of stuff.... Some of it is just laughable, like when Joey is downloading the GARBAGE file from the gibson mainframe, he puts a floppy disk in, starts copying, and then something happens, the shot is away from the PC (copying) for about 35-40 seconds, it gets back to the PC and its about 2% more done than it was when it was left, lol

How stupid is that

dragon

*EDIT* - Watching wargames tonight, should be quite good.... along the same lines

12. Cromewell

I think I know what scene you mean...:p

I think there was actually a good hacker type movie, I don't remember the name of it though

13. dragon2309

dragon2309 P.I Dragon

WarGames

OR

Hackers

They are the two best ones IMO

14. 4W4K3

4W4K3 VIP Member

"The Net" comes to mind.

I have also wondered why bombs in movies have count down clocks...attached to the bomb? For what reason would you need to know when it goes off ON the bomb? Is someone going to be standing there watching it? If so, WHY?!?? It's a LIVE bomb, I'd be hauling ass! Even if it has 30 minutes left before detenation...I would be on my way OUT! Seems like the count down clock is more for the AUDIENCE, so we know when it's going to explode.

15. Cromewell

Everyone knows the clock is so the hero knows when it's the right time to disable the bomb. DUH! :p It's so silly, every movie has to wait until theres <10 seconds left for it to be disarmed, it can be stopped sooner but it normally rearms so it can be stopped again at the last second.

16. The_Beast

The_Beast New Member

OMG should i cut the red or the blue wire

they away get it right and the bomb never explodes

17. Emperor_nero

Emperor_nero New Member

I hope to watch Hackers soon and agreed WarGames is a great movie. :D

18. PohTayToez

PohTayToez New Member

I've learned to pretty much ignore it when movies try to delve into the world of computers, as all they do mainly is make up gibberish that sounds technical to the everyday person.

19. leeroyMarv

leeroyMarv New Member

Yeah, most computer scenes are unrealistic, but they at least try to remain slightly within the realm of convention, and the programming language used in the movie (as i said i do not know what it is, whether it is real or not) borrows commands from python and other languages, so perhaps it is a real language. Anyway, the first thing you have to look at in the movie is the fact that the top two hackers in the world (in Swordfish) are both over 6 foot, and have athletic builds, which doesn't exactly fit the stereotypical hacker, look at Bill Gates and Linus Torvalds, they don't exactly look like Hugh Jackman and Rudolph Martin now do they?