Think I might need new Router

johnnyb58

I have a ASUS RT-AC68U Router and it has worked well over the year, but its been dropping out recently and my internet server suspects my router.

Anyway all our TVs, computers, tablets and security cameras go through this router. I also notice my tablet keeps loosing the internet when I have it out at my shop about 80 ft from the router which was never a problem before.

How can I verify if it is the router? I also notice that 2 of the 3 antenas seem to be loose at the elbow and not sure if it just might be a connection problem although I don't know how to tighten it up.

So if I do need a new router, what would you suggest?

beers

Staff member
Those antennas use a 'SMA' connector, usually you can hold the antenna where you want and tighten it with the screw part.

I can't remember if you live in a super remote location but I'd whip out 'wifi analyzer' on your phone or something and take a look at the airspace around you to see if there's any contention items. Also keep in mind your antennas flopping around will change the coverage area as omni direcitonal antennas broadcast in a shape similar to a donut.

You should be able to use the same tool to see the RSSI to your AP at various locations, usually it starts getting iffy around -80 dBm or so but also depends on the observed SNR.

johnnyb58

Those antennas use a 'SMA' connector, usually you can hold the antenna where you want and tighten it with the screw part.

I can't remember if you live in a super remote location but I'd whip out 'wifi analyzer' on your phone or something and take a look at the airspace around you to see if there's any contention items. Also keep in mind your antennas flopping around will change the coverage area as omni direcitonal antennas broadcast in a shape similar to a donut.

You should be able to use the same tool to see the RSSI to your AP at various locations, usually it starts getting iffy around -80 dBm or so but also depends on the observed SNR.
Thanks, I don't know anything about 'wifi analyzer' on my phone so I'll have to research that. I didn't see any screws on the antennas and I'll have to wait for a good time to pull it down to look at it. My daughter works from home and uses that internet connection for her work so I have to time it right.