Unreadable DVD

Hi,

I just purchased a used movie DVD (only 5$ for Inception), but it is unreadable on both my DVD player and my computer. There are only some minor scratches on it.

My DVD player indicate "Can't play disc"
My computer try to read the DVD and then do nothing ans react as if there was no disc into the cd/dvd player.

Are there any softwares that could rip the content of such a DVD?

(yes it's a region 1 dvd)

jamesd1981

Do you purchase the dvd from a store or a private seller ?

If a private seller it could be a dodgy copy.

spirit

Staff member
If you're using Windows Media Player on Windows Vista or older it won't be able to play your DVD without you installing codecs first, WMP12 in Windows 7 should be able to play DVDs out of the box. I'd recommend downloading and installing VLC Media Player (it's free) and seeing if that can play your DVD. DVD should play if the scratches are only minor. Not sure what to do about your DVD player though.

jamesd1981

You could try giving the disc a good clean and buffing it, but if it has scratches it could be it`s unusable.

spirit

Staff member
Try playing it with VLC, see if it works, and from my experience so long as the scratches aren't too bad the disc will still be readable.

VLC is also unable to load it. VLC's error messages:

dvdnav warning: cannot open dvdnav
dvdread warning: cannot open VMG info
main warning: no access_demux module matching "dvd" could be loaded
main error: no access module matched "dvd"
main error: open of `dvd://D:\' failed: no access module matched "dvd"

I guess if the dvd reader is unable to read it, how can any software do something?

tremmor

besides taking back for exchange would be taking to someplace like game stop store.
They have a machine that can clean up. Just a thought. Other thing was cleaning.
Not in a circular motion but across. Maybe someone else could verify this last comment.
Just an idea.

Pell

Toothpaste Technique? Try it:

Fill sink with warm/hot water
Rub toothpaste just to cover the surface of the disc
put under the water with toothpaste on then leave for 1 min
take out of water rub off toothpaste leave to dry do not dry it with anything

works for me! :)

spirit

Staff member
You're joking right? This is the way to destroy a DVD not make it readable again! The first problem is that once the water has evaporated off the disc it may leave behind smudges and marks, making the disc unreadable.

Jamebonds1

Toothpaste Technique? Try it:

Fill sink with warm/hot water
Rub toothpaste just to cover the surface of the disc
put under the water with toothpaste on then leave for 1 min
take out of water rub off toothpaste leave to dry do not dry it with anything

works for me! :)

This is joke right? Toothpaste can ruin DVD.

cabinfever1977

Hi,

I just purchased a used movie DVD (only 5$ for Inception), but it is unreadable on both my DVD player and my computer. There are only some minor scratches on it.

My DVD player indicate "Can't play disc"
My computer try to read the DVD and then do nothing ans react as if there was no disc into the cd/dvd player.

Are there any softwares that could rip the content of such a DVD?

(yes it's a region 1 dvd)

The op's problem is a scratched dvd movie

Jamebonds1

The op's problem is a scratched dvd movie

Maybe and maybe not. As my experiences, this is pretty trick of trying to find problem between DVD disc and DVD player.

Here is my story. I and my friend watch moive then it is lag and hard to playing. First i thought it is DVD disc problem then now i found out i was wrong after i replace my LG DVD burner drive to ASUS DVD burner drive.

cabinfever1977

Trust me he has a scratched dvd movie that he got from a movie rental store.
It would not play in his dvd player or on his computer's dvd player.
The answer is = bring movie back to store for refund

Jamebonds1

Trust me he has a scratched dvd movie that he got from a movie rental store.
It would not play in his dvd player or on his computer's dvd player.
The answer is = bring movie back to store for refund

Again, it can be DVD player or computer DVD drive problem, not DVD disc.

MMM

This is joke right? Toothpaste can ruin DVD.
Actually it a known fact by rubbing tooth paste in the scratch marks on a DVD disc can restore them.... It has been documented many times in a lot of computer magazines over the years.... The water immersion part I see no reason for and tend to agree water marks may hinder reading of the disc.