WD Lifeguard - I keep getting Error 0223

spirit

Staff member
I've been unlucky with the hard disks this summer and it looks like I might be about to lose another terabyte. I was noticing Premiere Pro was constantly crashing when I tried to import footage from this disk into my projects so I thought I'd check the drive out. I remember running a test on this drive and getting this Error 0223 with Lifeguard (bad sectors found and have been repaired, drive should be defect free) and I thought nothing of it. Ran an extended test on it today and got 0223 again, then I ran another extended test on it shortly afterwards and got 0223 again. Is this drive on its way out? Seems odd that it keeps finding bad sectors and repairing them!

Tested using the DOS version of Lifeguard on Hirens CD btw.

I'm going to try a few things to see if I can stop Premiere crashing but I'm just wondering if the consistent 0223 code indicates that these may be the first signs of failure for this disk.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
223 Errors Repaired Errors found, but have been repaired successfully. There were media errors that were within the repair capabilities of diagnostic utility. The drive should now be defect free.

If you keep getting the same error, I would assume your drive is going out.

spirit

Staff member
I did a long format on the drive in Windows Disk Management and then I ran the Extended Media Scan in Lifeguard again and once again got Error 0223, so I assume this drive is on the way out. Thanks for the reply John!

That's 5TB of disks I've lost in 3 weeks. 1x3TB and 2x1TB. Ah well, just unfortunate! Luckily I backup every night. :)

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You may want to verify drives in another computer, just in case. I just find this very weird.

spirit

Staff member
The 3TB drive was in a NAS and that died a few weeks ago. The other 1TB disk also died recently but that was connected to another system via USB (it was external). They were both Seagate. Apparently the Seagate Barracuda 3TBs have quite a high failure rate but to be fair it was running in the garage 24/7 for a few years. They are both well and truly dead. Not detected in Windows at all (the one that was the NAS wasn't discovered over the network either) and they are clicking and all.

I think this WD Green 1TB is faulty. Not a huge issue, I've just moved the data that was on it onto my WD Green 3TB.

Last edited: