WIndows 10 What is this blue error screen I got after waking my computer from sleep mode?

JohnJSal

Hi all. Yesterday I woke my PC from sleep mode, and I was greeted with a rather worrisome screen I've never seen before. It was a light blue color with a big frowning emoticon. It said something like "Something went wrong, gathering information," and it had a progress counter going up to 100%, similar to when you install an update.

After the reset, everything seems okay for now. I've never seen this before, so I'm inclined to think it's a Windows 10 error message, since I only recently started using Windows 10.

Two other random thoughts:

1. Previously on my old setup (HDD with Windows 7), I would occasionally wake up my PC from sleep mode and it would take me to a DOS-like screen and do a disk check, as if something had gone wrong with the hard drive. This only ever happened after waking it up, so I started wondering if maybe sleep mode has something to do with the problem, even the new problem. Or it could just be a coincidence.

2. Similarly, in most (but not all) cases of the old issue (hard disk check) and this new issue (blue screen), the weather was thundering and lightning, so I also wondered if maybe the power flashed and this caused the PC to shut down unexpectedly. Again, this could be another coincidence.

Does anyone know what error screen I'm talking about, and what might cause it to appear?

Thanks!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
With sleep mode enabled, you really need to make sure all major drivers are updated that support sleep mode. If something isn't up to date the driver will crash upon waking up. If it happens again get the specific info that is listed. Or we can run bluescreenview and we can figure out what driver crashed.

JohnJSal

Interesting! So it is likely that sleep mode is causing it? Could it cause permanent damage? I'm kind of worried about even using sleep mode now.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yes. Download and run this and we should be able to tell what caused the blue screen.

Download BlueScreenView
No installation required.
Unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

JohnJSal

Thank you! Here is what I copied. I noticed that at the bottom of the results window, it said "1 Crashes, 1 Selected." Was I supposed to do Select All on the upper screen or the lower? The upper had one entry under Dump File. The lower screen had a bunch of things, so I did that area.

Hopefully none of this is sensitive information?

Edit: I decided to delete the huge amount of text I copied, because I think the error is found in the first entry. So this first copied text below is from highlighting the entry under Dump File and selecting it. The second copied text is from the first entry in the list in the lower half of the window. I think they are both referring to the same thing.

==================================================
Dump File : 062722-7578-01.dmp
Crash Time : 6/27/2022 3:56:15 PM
Bug Check String : SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Bug Check Code : 0x1000007e
Parameter 1 : ffffffff`c0000005
Parameter 2 : fffff805`4ee048b7
Parameter 3 : ffff8d0d`e0ad71a8
Parameter 4 : ffff8d0d`e0ad69e0
Caused By Driver : ntoskrnl.exe
Caused By Address : ntoskrnl.exe+6048b7
File Description :
Product Name :
Company :
File Version :
Processor : x64
Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+6048b7
Stack Address 1 :
Stack Address 2 :
Stack Address 3 :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\062722-7578-01.dmp
Processors Count : 8
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 19041
Dump File Size : 1,663,116
Dump File Time : 6/27/2022 3:56:52 PM

Filename : ntoskrnl.exe
Address In Stack : ntoskrnl.exe+604bcc
From Address : fffff805`4e800000
To Address : fffff805`4f846000
Size : 0x01046000
Time Stamp : 0x79c14748
Time String : 9/24/2034 6:23:52 AM
Product Name :
File Description :
File Version :
Company :
Full Path :

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Navigate to this file and then zip it up and attach it to your next reply.

C:\Windows\Minidump\062722-7578-01.dmp

Sometimes you have to copy the file to your desktop first and then zip it up. I'll then use a debugger to see if it lists what is actually causing the problem.

JohnJSal

Navigate to this file and then zip it up and attach it to your next reply.

C:\Windows\Minidump\062722-7578-01.dmp

Sometimes you have to copy the file to your desktop first and then zip it up. I'll then use a debugger to see if it lists what is actually causing the problem.

Thanks very much. Here is the file.

Attachments

• bsod_file.zip
    329.1 KB · Views: 3

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Its coming up as inconclusive, nothing specific. The process it failed on was Registry and its also referencing a memory issue. Continue to monitor it and let me know if it happens again and post the new info from bluescreen view as well at that time.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Also, go into settings into system, then click on about at the bottom. What is listed for OS build under windows specifications? For some reason the program is saying you are running an out of date windows build.

JohnJSal

Also, go into settings into system, then click on about at the bottom. What is listed for OS build under windows specifications? For some reason the program is saying you are running an out of date windows build.

Here's what that section says:

Edition Windows 10 Home
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎6/‎3/‎2022
OS build 19044.1766
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4170.0

I'm kind of worried about using sleep mode now and it happening again. Is it something that could cause permanent damage? I'd hate to flirt with that.

Edit: For what it's worth, I've attached an image of what is listed in my Windows Update.

Edit 2: Not sure if this matters either, but I put my PC to sleep by using the Sleep button on my keyboard (Microsoft Digital Media Pro), rather than clicking the Sleep option in the Start menu. I figure it's doing the same thing anyway, but I thought I'd mention that just in case.

Attachments

• updates.png
    updates.png
    44.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Blue screens won't damage your system, its just windows way of saying something is not right.

I have a feeling its just an incompatible driver when coming out of sleep mode. You can try clicking on those and have windows update them and see if it happens again. I mean, I really don't trust windows update drivers as far as being the most recent. But we can always get a list of your hardware and update manually if we have to.

You might want to start a list of driver dates and versions for the following hardware items. You can do this by using the device manager.

Network - lan/wireless whatever you use. .
Sound
Video
Chipset

I also notice that the motherboard has 2 lan ports One is Intel and the other is an Atheros chip. Which one do you use? Looks like the intel one is top one and Atheros is below it. You can try using the other one and see if there is a difference as well.

JohnJSal

Thanks! I'll have to check this stuff later.

I did a search for the ntoskrnl filename and it sounds like that is related to Windows NT, or network stuff? Maybe it does have something to do with my networking hardware.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
No, has nothing to do with network. Its just a major windows system file that handles a lot of different things in the system. If it wasn't for that, windows wouldn't work.

JohnJSal

Blue screens won't damage your system, its just windows way of saying something is not right.

I have a feeling its just an incompatible driver when coming out of sleep mode. You can try clicking on those and have windows update them and see if it happens again. I mean, I really don't trust windows update drivers as far as being the most recent. But we can always get a list of your hardware and update manually if we have to.

You might want to start a list of driver dates and versions for the following hardware items. You can do this by using the device manager.

Network - lan/wireless whatever you use. .
Sound
Video
Chipset

I also notice that the motherboard has 2 lan ports One is Intel and the other is an Atheros chip. Which one do you use? Looks like the intel one is top one and Atheros is below it. You can try using the other one and see if there is a difference as well.

OK, since it won't damage anything, I'll try it again and take a picture of the screen if I can. Hopefully it won't happen often.

I checked my motherboard manual and it says the Atheros port is LAN 1 and the Intel port is LAN 2, but it doesn't show which is which.

The diagram has them both labeled as LAN ports without distinction. Perhaps the top one is 1? That's the one I've always used. I could try the other one if it's just a matter of plugging it in.

HoraceC

Hi JohnJSal,

A blue screen would normally be recorded in the System log in Event Viewer. If you check 10+ events (any level) either side of the the bluescreen date/time you might find our culprit.

JohnJSal

Hi JohnJSal,

A blue screen would normally be recorded in the System log in Event Viewer. If you check 10+ events (any level) either side of the the bluescreen date/time you might find our culprit.
I'm not familiar with using the Event Viewer. Can you tell me how to get to this specific information?

HoraceC

Hi JohnSal,

Windows Event Viewer logs contain events recorded by Windows and compatible applications. All event are by default listed in date order.

To open Event Viewer, press the Windows + X keys to open the Quick Links menu and select Event Viewer. Once open navigate to the Windows logs > System and look at any events around the time of the blue screen. It may also be worth looking in the Application log.

Okedokey

The problem relates to the lack of storage drivers.

1657030671442.png

One of the easiest ways to resolve this would be to ensure that you have the latest Windows updates and a clean restart.
Download Intel's inf update driver https://downloadmirror.intel.com/30553/eng/setupchipset.exe and install it, restart.
Then download and install Glary Utilities (https://www.glarysoft.com/aff/download.php?s=GU) and install it.

When you run it, click on the up arrow below. It safely updates your stuff.

1657030490517.png

Then go to Intel's update page and scan your PC for any further updates. https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/download-center/home.html

If that doesn't fix it, post your exact specs by typing dxdiag.exe in the windows search / run box. Click save all information and copy that file's contents to this thread.

Last edited: