Why do I have so many Chrome processes running?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by JohnJSal, Feb 1, 2012.

1. JohnJSal

JohnJSal New Member

I've noticed on my Task Manager that I have a ton of chrome.exe processes running, even immediately after I open Chrome (and haven't done any browsing yet). They don't correspond to tabs, because it shows this even when only one tab is open. Does anyone know what causes this, and if it's normal?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. johnb35

johnb35 Administrator Staff Member

3. JohnJSal

JohnJSal New Member

4. brightlord

brightlord New Member

what the ...?You must change web browser use Firefox Mozilla fox is good.Never let you down :D

5. JohnJSal

JohnJSal New Member

That's what I used to use. I switched to Chrome to try it out and just stuck with it for a while. The separate processes may look ugly, but apparently it helps keep everything modular so a problem in one place doesn't affect another place, and it helps you open more tabs without getting sluggish.

6. S.T.A.R.S.

S.T.A.R.S. banned

It is good they made it that way so if something crashes,it won't crash everything else what is currently being executed in Chrome.
    But it is bad since you have tons of Chrome processes running and that eats RAM and CPU.That is important for those with weak computers lol.I mean REALLY REALLY WEAK :D

If they have made only 1 process of Chrome and put everything running in that one process and ALSO catched all possible runtime and logical errors during it's usage and used dispose methods where neccessary to remove unneccessary things from being executed then on that way you would have only 1 process of Chrome running and also it would not eat RAM and CPU much at all and it would work great even on 15 years old computers.That is how I do things.

7. JohnJSal

JohnJSal New Member

Based on the previous information, this no longer seems necessary.

8. linkin

linkin VIP Member

Each tab is a new process in chrome.

9. JohnJSal

JohnJSal New Member

I know, but even with only one tab open, there are something like 10 chrome.exe processes running, hence my question.

10. Mishkin

Mishkin New Member

I'm another former Firefox user that switched to Chrome just to try it about a year ago. I like both, but I'm used to Chrome now so I use that. I've wondered for a long time myself why Chrome opens so many processes of itself, and never bothered to look it up.

So thanks for this! Sounds good and makes sense.