Windows error recovery???

AjsGuns

Hi Guys,
my toshiba satellite p300 wont start up properly. I turn it on and it loads (past the toshiba part) then says Windows Error recovery it then gives me 2 choices -
"start up windows normally"
"Launch Startup Repair (recommeneded)"
i click the recommeneded and it says Windows Boot Manager
Windows Failed to start a recent hardware or software change might be the cause. to fix the problem:
1. Insert ur windows installation disc and restart your computer
2. choose ur lanauge settings and then click "next"
3. Click Repair your Computer.

Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccesible.

So yea, what do i do lol? Vista came preloaded with the laptop so i dont have a copy. I called up a shop and they said its got nothing to do with vista and they can fix it no problem for a $180 charge. If i start it up normally it doesnt go past that Windows screen it just like idols on it for hours.

I have no discs to the laptop (at least i cant find them) its only 10 months old and in very good condition.

Thanks guys.

Also any ideas as to why this happened?
Only thing i downloaded during the time frame was Vent.

Last edited:

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
-Have you made any hardware changes lately?
-Have you touched the OS options that you don't understand what they are for?
-Do you have any viruses on your computer?
-Have you updated your drivers?

If the answer to all 4 questions is NO then some of your Windows files are missing or simply got damaged by some program installation,but this can happen if you don't even do anything on your computer.Weird but true...

Anyway you said that you do not have the Windows Vista DVD-ROM disk.This will of course make this problem very hard or even impossible to solve...
Anyway try the following:

-Go into the "Safe Mode with Command Prompt"
-When you find yourself inside of the command prompt,write the following command:

CHKDSK C: /f /r

Press the ENTER button on your keyboard...
If it asks you to restart the computer,write "y" and then click the ENTER button on your keyboard...
After your computer restarts,the disk checking process will start so let it finish.The process can take very long time depending on the size of your HDD and the size of your data.DO NOT CANCEL THE DISK CHECKING PROCESS!!!
After that process is finished,Windows Vista will automatically restart and then boot into NORMAL mode...

--->If the disk checking process has finished,but it didn't help,again go into the "Safe Mode with Command Prompt" and there write the following command:

sfc /scannow

Wait for the process to finish.THE PROCESS CAN TAKE A LONG TIME SO LET IT FINISH!!!If in the middle of the process you are asked to insert your Windows Vista DVD-ROM disk then cancel the process considering that you don't have the Windows Vista DVD-ROM disk...

-If you are unable to boot into the "Safe Mode with Command Prompt",try booting into the "Safe Mode" and there do the following:

Open "Computer",right click on your disk C: then "Properties".Go on the "Tools" tab and there click the button called "Check Now...".Turn ON both options called "Automatically fix file system errors" and "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors".Now click the "Start" button.If you are asked to restart the computer,click "Yes".After your computer restarts,the disk checking process will start so let it finish.The process can take very long time depending on the size of your HDD and the size of your data.DO NOT CANCEL THE DISK CHECKING PROCESS!!!
After that process is finished,Windows Vista will automatically restart and then boot into NORMAL mode...

-If you are also unable to boot into the "Safe Mode" then your Windows Vista OS files are damaged or missing or some of your hardware doesn't function properly...

What you CAN do is to borrow the Windows Vista DVD from someone,boot from it and then from the System Recovery Options window choose the "Command Prompt".The System Recovery Options window looks like this:
startup-repair.png

Inside of that command prompt write the following command:

sfc /scannow

Wait for the process to finish.THE PROCESS CAN TAKE A LONG TIME SO LET IT FINISH!!!
NOTE: LEAVE YOUR WINDOWS VISTA DVD-ROM DISK INSIDE OF YOUR CD/DVD-ROM DRIVE!!!!!!

-If this didn't help either,again boot from the Widnows Vista DVD-ROM disk,go into the System Recovery Options window and there choose the first option called "Startup Repair".This will repair the complete Windows Vista OS including all its files and folders...
NOTE: LEAVE YOUR WINDOWS VISTA DVD-ROM DISK INSIDE OF YOUR CD/DVD-ROM DRIVE!!!!!!

Try all this and tell me if it worked...

Cheers!

AjsGuns

Hi mate, problem is i cant get past the Toshiba screen
its Toshiba screen then goes all black then has that msg pop up so i cant get into safe mode.
No to all 4 questions only change i made was software and it was only installing Vent (during the time frame) and i downlaoded it off its legit website.

AjsGuns

omg wtf lol
so, i downloaded a vista copy but it only let the repair part work anyways i repaired my computer, it worked like a charm everything worked perfect besides firefox (that i tried). Anyway i turn off the computer and restart and i get the same error .... so i do the same steps boot from cd and try to repair however this time it says error cannot repair automatically blabla, so i was like err turned computer off and restarted and now im on my laptop and onto my account HOWEVER my profile isnt here? it said it logged me into a default profile? also when i tried to login it said "corrupt something something"

so what should i do now that im on it? and it isnt exactly running like it should if i shut it down it prob wont restart and the error will come back.

Clearly something is up but what?

canivari

omg wtf lol
so, i downloaded a vista copy but it only let the repair part work anyways i repaired my computer, it worked like a charm everything worked perfect besides firefox (that i tried). Anyway i turn off the computer and restart and i get the same error .... so i do the same steps boot from cd and try to repair however this time it says error cannot repair automatically blabla, so i was like err turned computer off and restarted and now im on my laptop and onto my account HOWEVER my profile isnt here? it said it logged me into a default profile? also when i tried to login it said "corrupt something something"

so what should i do now that im on it? and it isnt exactly running like it should if i shut it down it prob wont restart and the error will come back.

Clearly something is up but what?

I think you got some bad sectores in your HDD.
Just try to repair the Windows like you did last time so you can boot to windows and after that just try:
Start
Search programs and files and imput:
"cmd" without the quotes
hit enter
inside of the black "dos" window
imput "chkdsk/f" without the quotes
hit enter
press "Y" without the quotes to acept to scan on next reboot
and hit enter
reboot your computer and let him scan your disk for errors.
hope that helps

Last edited:

canivari

Alright will report when i restart ty
what is the most probable cause a virus?

Most of the times ..electricity...
other times you PSU is not giving (or giving too mch) power to your hardware and the very first thing that you notice is in your HDD (this thing is very sensitive to electricity).
Hope that helps