Windows Update refuses to run or is damaged.

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by CaptainTrips, Aug 31, 2011.

1. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips New Member

I'm running Windows 7 Pro 32bit SP1

I've been trying to run Windows Update but have run into a number of problems. After selecting Windows Update from the start menu, I get a white box on my screen for about 3 minutes before windows populates it with information about windows update - a red shield with an X, and the usual text. When I select "Check for updates" windows tells me that the windows update service is not running.

So using services.msc, I went in, found wuauserv and tried to start it, getting this error:

Windows could not start the wuauserv service on Local Computer. Error 193: 0xc1.

Then I also noticed that the description for wuauserv was "<Failed to Read Description. Error Code: 1006 > "

I did some googleing and eventually followed the proceedure here with no luck. Apparently "Error 193: 0xc1" and "<Failed to Read Description. Error Code: 1006 > " are both pretty ubiquitous with Microsoft programs, making hunting down a fix more difficult.

I also ran a full virus scan with MSE, and it came back clean.

Does anyone know what could have caused this to happen and how I can fix it? My computer is running fine otherwise, but I'd like to get that service back up and running. Thanks in advance.

2. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips New Member

Just reinstalled the .NET 4.0 Framework as per someone's suggestion with no luck.

3. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips New Member

4. strollin

strollin Active Member

I would have suggested to run the command "sfc /scannow" from a command prompt to check system files before uninstall/reinstall of SP1.

Glad to hear you got it working.

5. CaptainTrips

CaptainTrips New Member

I wish you had, I didn't know that such a thing existed. I do now though! Thanks.