$1,000

lowcar100

Ok, after i sauter a wire in my paintball gun i will sell all of the paintball stuff for about $550-$600 and i have $450 from my b-day + allowance until i actually start to buy parts will add probly another $20-$30 but anyway, I'll have around 1grand for the case and all the insides, I have a monitor and a mouse but i still need a keyboard too. I will be using the pc for gaming and the occasional word document. How good do you think it will be? and what would you put in it? if you could shoot me a few links that'd be great but if not i completely understand.

alanuofm

VIP Member
lowcar100 said:
Ok, after i sauter a wire in my paintball gun i will sell all of the paintball stuff for about $550-$600 and i have $450 from my b-day + allowance until i actually start to buy parts will add probly another $20-$30 but anyway, I'll have around 1grand for the case and all the insides, I have a monitor and a mouse but i still need a keyboard too. I will be using the pc for gaming and the occasional word document. How good do you think it will be? and what would you put in it? if you could shoot me a few links that'd be great but if not i completely understand.

for a good start please read building101 and all the 101's listed in the reading. *solder

MatrixEVO

My setup cost around a thousand dollars. Look at my sig. Although you should get like a 3200 instead, and a smaller HDD, maybe a better video card, and if you don't need to burn DVDs, then only get a DVD/CD-RW combo drive. Where did you plan on getting your parts anyway?

MatrixEVO

Oh, and you probably don't need that expensive case I have and don't need that PSU either, so you can spend your money on more useful parts (like I shouldv'e done, LOL).

lowcar100

I plan on getting parts off the internet (newegg mostly)/ neighbor builds pc's and has some extras/ friend also build pc's and has extra/ Neighbor knows someone at Microsoft so i can get the XP OS for like $35 legit.

sweet input guys, I'll look into that some more.

X24

Yes, look for something like matrix has got only with a better graphics card, smaller hard drive, cheaper case and psu and only dvd burner.

bigsaucybob

do u definitly wanna build it urself and not buy it from like ibuypower.com like this one

Case ( Nzxt Guardian ATX Mid-Tower Case w/420W Power Supply Black )
Power Supply ( Standard Case Power Supply )
Processor ( [939-pin] AMD® Athlon-64 X2 3800+ CPU w/ Hyper Transport Technology )
Processor Cooling ( Certified CPU Fan and Heatsink )
Motherboard ( eVGA 133-K8-NF41 nForce-4 SLI Chipset Dual DDR w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, IEEE 1394, Dual PCI-E MB )
Memory ( 1024 MB [512MB X2] DDR-400 PC3200 Memory Module Corsair XMS w/ Heat Spreader )
Video Card [PCI-Express 16x] Nvidia Geforce 6800 256MB w/DVI + TV Out
Hard Drive (160 GB Western Digital 160 GB 7200 RPM Ultra ATA-100 2MB Cache Hard Drive )
CD-RW/DVD-RW Drive ( 16x DVD-ROM + 52x32x52 CD-RW Combo Drive Black )

this one comes to about 1067

X24

building is quite a bit cheaper, and more fun, not to mention it will help you if you ever have a problem, u know what to do.

Xycron

banned
X24 said:
building is quite a bit cheaper, and more fun, not to mention it will help you if you ever have a problem, u know what to do.

He said he was going to be doing that since his first post...(well he was going to be buying parts. So one would assume he was ghoing to build it)

lowcar100

thanks more for the help guys, I havent been on the pc for a few days and finally got on and checked this, lots more replies :) and yes I am planning on building the pc so that I can learn about them with hands-on experience. I'm fairly computer langual (lol), if you say ram or processor I know what it is, but I would like to know more. Plus my current pc (shared with family) has been screwed about 4 times over, viruses/dumb parents etc. lol. so i decided to build my own. anyway, I will let you guys know as soon as I know what parts I'm lookin at. (I know ill get an AMD processor - for gaming - ) and I may even be lookin for 2gb ram just to top my incredibly arrogant (sp?) friend lol.

again, thanks guys and I'll update you ASAP.

vortmax

Start to get real familiar with hadware configs. I surfed around the Asus and Tyan website for a few weeks, figuring out exactly what each rating on the boards meant before deciding which one I wanted. Reading the building 101 here and posting questions will help a lot too. Just keep in mind as you build that balance is everything when it comes to a fast (and stable) computer.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
How good do you think it will be?
Kinda depends on what you get dont it? ;)

and what would you put in it? if you could shoot me a few links that'd be great but if not i completely understand.
Sure:
- AMD Athlon64 3000+ Venice [ADA3000DAA4BP, 145USD]
- MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum [NF4Ultra, 100USD]
- PNY Optima 2x512 [CL2.5, 65USD]
- Maxtor MaXLine III 7L250S0 [16MB, 105USD]
- AOpen 6800GT [265USD]
- Xclio 450W [12V@32A, 50USD]
- NEC 3540 [40USD]
- Logitech Office Internet Pro Keyboard [5USD]
Subtotal = 775USD
Plenty of money for point upgrades or case, etc

Get an AMD Athlon 64 processor
Thats gonna be a very crappy machine consisting of just a processor....

lowcar100

praetor that looks like sex! lol

im gonna seriously look into that one, maybe get 2gb of ram and a colorful case :) lol

but whats with that vid card running hot? could that be fixed with more fans you think?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
but whats with that vid card running hot? could that be fixed with more fans you think?
Compared to say a GFX5200 perhaps the 6800GT runs hot but unless you have thermal problems (and these would be serious problems i.e., RMA) you'll be fine. My 6800GT has never gone over 80C load, idle, winter, summer, stock speed, overclocked speed, whatever. Sounds like high temps yes but the 6800GT has thermal throttling that kicks in at 120C so there's plenty of room

skidude

Praetor said:
Thats gonna be a very crappy machine consisting of just a processor....

Sorry, I should have pointed out that I was just making a suggestion on a processor, thats not the whole system.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry, I should have pointed out that I was just making a suggestion on a processor, thats not the whole system
I figured as much however if you read through the posts top to bottom that post just kinda is a random blurt of information (aka borderlining-fanboysm) being tossed in without reason or direction (now if you had said "AMD Athlon64 3200 [Venice]" or something specific that would be a totally different story :)